Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Taking down a wall in a unit - how does it work with strata?

Page 1 of 1
Hi.

I would like to take down a wall between kitchen and living room in a unit to create open space. I have got all drawings completed from structural engineers, but I am stuck with strata now.

Structural engineers require to install horizontal beam and two vertical beams on each side which will support the main one. That will also require to put screws into the concrete ceiling and walls on each side to hold the beams.

Strata sent me a letter that I need approval from from the owners corporation, and also that I may need "a special bylaw maybe required which generally is drafted by a solicitor and includes such things as your permission for the installation plus responsibilities, repairs and maintenance of the installation and any part of the common property affected. Your strata scheme may already have a registered bylaw for the type of installation you are considering so you should check your bylaws and any specific requirements of your strata scheme before sending in your submission. "

Can anyone advise if the bylaw is really required?

Those who have done the similar renovation, did you have to go through the same process? Did you have to have the bylaw?
I'm confused. You say strata sent you a letter and said check with strata if they have a bylaw already?
Speak to the strata manager and find out if they have an exisiting bylaw to cover structural renovations. I'd think they would (unless it's a relatively new block).
People are generally wary of structural renovations so it may not be easy. You will need to sign something saying you will be responsible for any damage to common and other peoples property.
If there is a unit above you I doubt the ones above would be happy about it. There is also the disturbance issue.
Welcome to strata living. It can be a pain.
Good luck.
travelbug
I'm confused. You say strata sent you a letter and said check with strata if they have a bylaw already?
Speak to the strata manager and find out if they have an exisiting bylaw to cover structural renovations. I'd think they would (unless it's a relatively new block).

It is not new block. Its from 70's.
I will try to speak to strata manager again and ask the question if they have already the existing bylaw to cover structural renovations. Thanks for the tip.

travelbug
People are generally wary of structural renovations so it may not be easy. You will need to sign something saying you will be responsible for any damage to common and other peoples property.
If there is a unit above you I doubt the ones above would be happy about it. There is also the disturbance issue.
Welcome to strata living. It can be a pain.
Good luck.

Is there any risk signing something saying that I will be responsible...? What happens if I want to sell the unit in the future? I thought that the structural engineers and the builder is responsible for doing the change.

I am getting cold feet from all this, but I would like to change the space to open space and make it a little bit modern.
I think Strata is trying to confuse you, and it appears to have worked. The Strata manager should be satisfied with the engineer's drawings and I think the bylaw is all BS.

I have seen this type of wall removal done many times on flats being turned into apartments.

The engineering sounds a little over the top with beam support columns at each end, when I have seen it supported by letting the beam into the brick wall.

Yes the engineer and builder are responsible. Perhaps they can help you with your questions
All I had to do was give the engineers report to the strata company and they were happy, I had to letter drop all the other units telling them of the proposed works including a copy of the engineers report and anyone had 2 weeks to object which they did not.
Your report sounds excessive, we only required 1 beam (big one) notched in either side, maybe get a second opinion?????
Goodluck..
I'm interested to know what happened if the original poster is still out there?
Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum