Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Outdoor BBQ Benchtop Advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am renovating my backyard/courtyard. There is an existing brick wall on my boundary. Due to use excavating slightly lower, we have put a retaining wall on that boundary. To use up the space lost to the retaining wall we have decided to install a built- in bench and BBQ. The side walls of the built-in BBQ will be rendered besser block and the front will be two large doors (Will be made from Modinex Rib Clad to match the wall). Due to the retaining wall forming part of the built in BBQ we were not able to use normal kitchen cabinetry.

There are two columns in the wall which protrude 110mm from the rest of the wall and the columns are 1580mm apart. We plan on the rendered besser block walls to run in line with the columns. We also want the benchtop to run in line with the columns i.e. the benchtop will be 1580mm wide.

Based on this. What edge profile for the marble do you think would be best? The options I have thought of so far are:
1. 40mm Mitred edge - the marble will sit flush with the rendered walls (vertically and horizontally)
2. Shark nose edge - the top of the marble will sit flush with the rendered wall but the shark nose will create a break/shadow line
3. 40mm Mitred edge - but we recess the rendered wall at the top (30-40mm) to create a shadowline.

I've also attached a photo of the current status of the BBQ so if you have other alternatives, please let me know e.g. building the side walls and frame out of timber and cladding the sides the same as the front (this idea has crossed my mind also).

Thank you very much for your help,

Milo

Related
1/04/2024
Holes in mitred edge of stone benchtop

General Discussion

Hi Courtney The mitred edges are glued up with epoxy so those little holes and gaps are areas that weren't filled correctly. Silicone is the wrong product to fill them…

12/05/2023
Outdoor fish tank

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for letting us know. The programmer will have a look at this later today.

29/10/2023
Outdoor Blinds for Pergola

Outdoor Living

About a year ago, I embarked on a DIY project to construct an outdoor Pergola, which measures approximately 5.2 meters by 4.0…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum