Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Flame Zone Renovations - Joining New to Old

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
been searching through BCA, AS3959, and lots of internet searching, interested to see what people have done where a new renovation that has to be done to BAL-FZ (Flame Zone) is joining onto a 1970's project home?

The original house has a lot of wood cladding, window frame etc... almost all framing is oregon and windows are cedar, but it will have a Flame zone spec roof fascias and eves.

(Picture is not my house - but similar enough to show the issues where the windows meet the roof and there is a large gap that the builders say they wil just bridge with Fibre Cement)

The builder says they can just butt joint the flame zone eve (eg 15mm plywood, 16mm fyrechek plaster, 4.5mm fibre cement) up against a 50yr old piece of western red cedar and it's ok - doesn't make sense.

This can't be a new problem, what did the building consent conditions and the building certifiers say about this?

Was it just passed or did they make the new renovation section continue on until it joined with a more compliance material eg Brick, etc..

My main issues is the windows - the window frame run floor through to the roof without a break.

Interested to hear peoples experiences.
Thanks
in victoria only new work needs to be bal level
unless you renovate more than 50%, then you must bring whole home up to bal requirement
so the way i interpret that is the same as your builder
Aussieta is correct, AS3959 and the NCC-BCA relate to "NEW WORK" so if you're renovating only the new works are required to meet the standards. If they take the cladding OFF, then it's new work and needs to comply if they butt up against, the joint must comply.
Craig
Related
2/04/2024
Building a flame zone house in West Pymble on a steep site

Building A New House

Hi All It has been a few weeks since my last update. The build has been progressing well. No major issues to report. The scaffolding was dropped today, gyprock will be…

3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

13/01/2024
Bidet - RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone) valve

Bathrooms and Laundry

First time building 2 storey home, is under construction (in Framing stage) in NSW. I have 3 toilets and need bidet spray in…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum