Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Suggestions for Home Extension

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We are thinking of an extension to our current home as the family is growing. Our plan is to 2 bedroom and a bath/WC. Some of the builders I've come across will take care of the whole process from start to finish including plans, permits, council permissions etc, while others want me to do the paper work and they just build.This got me thinking, is it worth me doing all the paper work? What are the pros and cons for it? Would love to learn from your experiences.

Thanks
Andy
andy_s
This got me thinking, is it worth me doing all the paper work? What are the pros and cons for it? Would love to learn from your experiences.

The bottom line is that it is a transference of risk, responsibility and workload from the builder to you. I did all of the project management for our custom home build, which included dealing with Council, coordinating between builder and architect, paying all bills, and taking on all damage and loss risk. If you are comfortable with learning and exercising the process, and you trust the builder and get a trade off from them in terms of cost, then it may be worth it.
Related
10/07/2023
Need suggestions for home improvement

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Looking to add an ensuite to one of the bedrooms and make it a Master BR. Please see the attached current floorplan. Need suggestions on what's the best way to do…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum