Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Process to build and approve a dividing wall to AS 1684

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am currently looking for advice on the adding a dividing wall.

I am a home owner in Victoria who would like to renovate a front room in a 1930s California Bungalow. I would like to do as much of the work as possible (everything except electric). My current hurdles relate to the process to get approvals to proceed with a piece of work. Or if I need approvals at all.

The front door opens into a room. I would like to put a dividing wall in this room so that it creates a hallway and a new bedroom/home office.
The wall would be a non load bearing wall, and built to AS 1684 standards.
For the purposes of this example consider that I have the skill and experience to build the wall, and the value of the project is less than $10,000, and there are no planning restrictions on the interior of the house.

What are my options:
1. Can I go ahead and just build the wall to AS 1684
2. I draw plans and submit to council > Council approves > I can build the wall > council surveyor checks the work
3. I have to get an engineer to draw plans for the wall > submit to council > Council approves > I can build the wall > council surveyor checks the work
4. Can a registered builder just come in and build it with out plans or being checked by council as long as its to AS 1684?

As you can see I am unsure on what I can just get on with or if there is a process to follow, or if a builder can just come and do it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
In a nut shell
AS1684 was designed by engineers for those that want to follow a cookbook approach to structural Design/construction
The regulating authorities are council Building Surveyors...Not Builders/ carpenters, nor interior decorators/artists
Don't fall into the trap of thinking its an interior design/fitout...seek approvals in writing, as non compliance has become a major issue
OT, Sounds like you've sort advice and it's all getting a bit too difficult, never the less...rules are rules
BTW, 3. getting an Engineer... Would put you in good standing if there are other associated non compliant issues as engineers can certify alternate solutions.
Cheers
Chris
Just build the wall, non structural so no approval needed.
Your council will give you the same advice.

Either you or someone else can build it. Carpenter cheaper than builder too.
Hey 711Design
Here's some tips when contacting your local council concerning building
1. If any illegal building work has been carried out on your property you might have a non compliance officer knocking on your door
2. if you submitted plans/paperwork and the tradie changed it slightly during the build... isn't an excuse for non compliance acceptance
3. Never get angry at someone in Council they are only doing their job, as frustrating as the whole process may seem
4. Engage and entertain (3 above) often helps in qualifying the grey areas, when everything is Black and white
You sound like a guy that doesn't want to have any issues later on with unauthorized works.. make sure you get everything from the council in writing
for others, If you are in WA all the relevant BA forms are here
WA Building approval forms
A cynical person would say
Council red tape and non compliance is turning into a billion dollar industry?
You generally don't need Council approval for non structural changes that are under the cost threshold. This is common across all Victorian councils. Your council will have documentation on what needs approval. If you fall outside of that, you can just go ahead and it wont be considered illegal. If unsure, you can get peace of mind by engaging a local professional to confirm for you for the cost of a couple hundred bucks for their time, but from what you describe you should be able to just do it.
Quick update for those interested.

Thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice. I looked into the matter further and the VBA actually gives good info on items that don't require a building permit.

https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/ho ... ls/permits

Practice Note BP-01: When is a building permit required
https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... 72c4df.pdf

Excerpt from the practice note:
Alterations to a building are exempt from requiring a building permit provided the building work:
(a) will not adversely affect the structural soundness of the building, and does not include:
(i) an increase or decrease in the floor area or height of the building; or
(ii) underpinning or replacement of footings; or
(iii) the removal or alteration of any element of the building that is contributing to the support of any other
element of the building

Since an internal non load bearing wall doesn't affect any of these, I went ahead and built the wall.

Also the value is under $10,000 so again no need to get a building permit or contract.
And its less than $16,000 so no insurance required.
https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/ho ... essentials

Thanks
711Design
Quick update for those interested.

Thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice. I looked into the matter further and the VBA actually gives good info on items that don't require a building permit.

https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/ho ... ls/permits

Practice Note BP-01: When is a building permit required
https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... 72c4df.pdf

Excerpt from the practice note:
Alterations to a building are exempt from requiring a building permit provided the building work:
(a) will not adversely affect the structural soundness of the building, and does not include:
(i) an increase or decrease in the floor area or height of the building; or
(ii) underpinning or replacement of footings; or
(iii) the removal or alteration of any element of the building that is contributing to the support of any other
element of the building

Since an internal non load bearing wall doesn't affect any of these, I went ahead and built the wall.

Also the value is under $10,000 so again no need to get a building permit or contract.
And its less than $16,000 so no insurance required.
https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/ho ... essentials

Thanks

We know these things, hence told you it was fine already 🙄
Related
29/08/2023
Landscape construction drawings and process

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks very much! And would the landscaper/contractor generally involve the engineer or is that something the client would do? Thanks for your help

20/03/2024
Experience with HBCF insurance claim process NSW

Building A New House

I apologise for any confusion, but your understanding is correct. We approached our situation differently based on advice from…

29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum