Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Exhaust fan noisy - squeaking and flapping noise

Page 1 of 1
I need help regarding my noisy exhaust fan.
The exhaust fan is making squeaky and then flapping noise. It is particularly loud during windy day.
The exhaust fan is ducted to the outside. The model is Trader Falcon FNCEFDR.

How do I fix this?
Would replacing the external vent cover with something like this help?

I read about installing a butterfly backdraft shutter in the ductwork. But the exhaust fan is already equipped with a backdraft shutter. Will this work?

Or is there a better exhaust fan than the one I have? My friend has got a clipsal CEF40 exhaust fan (also ducted to outside) and they have no noisy exhaust fan problem.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.gsme.com.au/products/falcon-ducted/fncefd
The backdraft shutter is probably what is making the flapping noises in windy weather. Only way to fix it is to have one that doesn’t flap. Only way I have surmised to make that work is to install a manually or electrically activated one.
It's probably an expensive solution but you could look at one of these.

https://www.schweigen.com.au/catalogue/brw600

The motor unit is installed on the outside of the house which would mean with a back draft stopper there would be nothing inside the house except the tubing so wind shouldn't make a difference.
arcadelt
The backdraft shutter is probably what is making the flapping noises in windy weather. Only way to fix it is to have one that doesn’t flap. Only way I have surmised to make that work is to install a manually or electrically activated one.

Do you have an example of this sort of exhaust fan which has an electrically activated backdraft shutter?
arcadelt
Do you have an example of this sort of exhaust fan which has an electrically activated backdraft shutter?

No, I have only seen one that you could add into the duct.
Related
24/12/2023
Seeking feedback: Exhaust fan for home office

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

My home office is hot with computer equipment running virtually 18 hours a day. When it gets unbearably warm I simply step out of my door into the living area which is…

18/10/2023
Noisy soffits

General Discussion

Hi, I have a double and whenever the wind picks up I can hear alot of banging in certain areas of the house. I've had a look round and can't see any obvious issue but…

3/12/2023
Sliding door to bathroom noisy

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks Chippy . Did also see a YouTube video before. Removed them . Thanks again for the advice.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum