Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Reducing footstep noises from upstairs

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
First post here. I have just purchased my first home with my wife and I need some help!

The place is a 1990 build timber frame brick veneer home. Two storey.

We haven't moved in yet and haven't lived in a house of that construction before but straightaway we are a bit put off by the noise that can be heard from the floor above. I'm talking about just normal footsteps being easily heard below.

The whole house is empty so everything is a bit more 'echo-y' but it also seems like the best time to do any work we can to fix this.

I've pulled away the carpet and can see the flooring is Structaflor general purpose. Tongue and groove particleboard. Doesn't seem to be movement of those boards (which I guess is good). The problem really seems to be impact noises.

Would replacing the boards do anything? Would putting something under them do anything? I've also seen installation of another layer on the ceiling below. The ceiling does seem high enough for this to also be an option.

I'm open to hearing all ideas for solutions though.

Also, I'm in Adelaide so if there is any specific people I can contact that would be appreciated.

xbsean
Hi all,
First post here. I have just purchased my first home with my wife and I need some help!

We haven't moved in yet and haven't lived in a house of that construction before but straightaway we are a bit put off by the noise that can be heard from the floor above. I'm talking about just normal footsteps being easily heard below.

The whole house is empty so everything is a bit more 'echo-y' but it also seems like the best time to do any work we can to fix this.

I've pulled away the carpet and can see the flooring is Structaflor general purpose. Tongue and groove particleboard. Doesn't seem to be movement of those boards (which I guess is good). The problem really seems to be impact noises.

Would replacing the boards do anything? Would putting something under them do anything? I've also seen installation of another layer on the ceiling below. The ceiling does seem high enough for this to also be an option.

Also, I'm in Adelaide so if there is any specific people I can contact that would be appreciated.

Hi Xbsean

Yes you do get a lot of impact noise from a single layer. What we are doing in some of our renovation and it most of our new builds is laying an extra layer of 19mm yellowtongue over the top which helps

We then put acoustic insulation in the lower ceiling and the last thing we do is use a really good underlay. Preferably an acoustic rated one such as one from Regupol.

I hope this gives you some ideas

Simeon
SejaeD
xbsean
Hi all,

Hi Xbsean

Yes you do get a lot of impact noise from a single layer. What we are doing in some of our renovation and it most of our new builds is laying an extra layer of 19mm yellowtongue over the top which helps

We then put acoustic insulation in the lower ceiling and the last thing we do is use a really good underlay. Preferably an acoustic rated one such as one from Regupol.

Simeon

Hi Simeon,
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply!

In your experience, do you lay the second layer of boards in the same direction as the existing bottom layer or do you go across them? Also, are you fixing into the joists with every screw/nail or just fixing into the first layer of boards?

I've found the below from a structaflor install guide. Looks a bit like an Mc escher drawing to me... I can't work out what those two short bold join lines are. haha

xbsean
SejaeD
xbsean
Hi all,

Hi Xbsean

Simeon

Hi Simeon,
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply!

In your experience, do you lay the second layer of boards in the same direction as the existing bottom layer or do you go across them? Also, are you fixing into the joists with every screw/nail or just fixing into the first layer of boards?

I've found the below from a structaflor install guide. Looks a bit like an Mc escher drawing to me... I can't work out what those two short bold join lines are. haha

XBsean

You don't need my help, you have it nailed!!

You are absolutely correct, you lay at 90 degrees to the first layer and stagger them.

Use a ton of glue on each sheet, and then I would recommend screwing 100mm bugles through into the floor joists. You could probably get away with 75's but I always go bigger.

Dont forget to leave a gap around the edges of at 5mm for expansion

good luck

Simeon
Related
19/05/2023
Clunking noises Steel frame

General Discussion

Hi, I have a steel frame house which was built 2 years ago. When you are down stairs you can hear clunking noises when someone is walking around. We were told if you…

24/08/2023
Can I move my home Gym workout station upstairs?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a home gym at home. It weights 150KG including the weight stack. I'm a big boy, around 150KG myself. I was thinking about moving it up stairs to the second…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum