Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Changing roof pitch and roof tiles to build a dormer

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I would like to ask the idea of changing the roof pitch of my house in order to accommodate a dormer to be added as an extra room is a cost effective way compare to getting to build a second storey ?

I do not require more than one room, all I need is just an additional room and the current floor plan require me to give up my alfresco if I need to add an additional room.

I also have a relative flat and old uninteresting roof which I hope by this exercise I get more out of this as this will allow me to :
1, change the roof tile colour to matching the render house colour
2. have all my gutters and fascia replaced since they are old
3. replace most of the ceilings since they are old, more than 20 years old
4. remove the asbestos in the ceiling

Can someone please let me know if this is a huge building job that required a substantial of money that it is not worth it just for adding a dormer ?

Thanks
Abbie
Hey Abbie2020 Welcome to the forum
Search the forum for lofts
This is my favourite window detail It is expensive
but there are cheaper ones
Cheers
Chris
to change roof pitch is a very expensive option and adding an extra floor means that you have to lose a substantial amount of floor space to allow for stairs both upstairs and down and there are Council restriction on location of upstairs windows relative to neighbours...a ground level extension will be much cheaper and easier but if you post your floor plans including dimensions and distance of the house to all the boundaries you may find some other ideas..in the meantime contact a roof conversion company for quotes on adding the upstirs
Related
17/07/2023
Skillion Roof Pitch

General Discussion

Why don't you call and talk with someone at the town planning in your council?

27/06/2023
Alfresco pitch

Building A New House

Hello! I've alfresco pitch of 3 degrees sitting just below the highlight window. Need advice on below: 1. Will the 3 degree pitch be ok to drain the rain water? The roof…

19/12/2023
Changing building certifiers mid-build

General Discussion

Hi all, I've received the unwelcome news that our certifier (BCA Certifiers) has merged into the McKenzie Group. A quick Google revealed McKenzie is the mob that…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum