Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Wall Demolition ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

My partner and I have recently moved into a new property that we intend on doing a large scale renovation. The house was built in 1984 with a unique design showcasing raked pine wood ceilings, natural light from large windows and semi- open plan floor space.

We are in a perdicament with one of the central walls that is located between the top lounge area/kitchen area and the dining area. Our interior designer has two options for us, gyprock this wall and retain the wall to be able to separate the two lounge spaces from each other for practicallity reasons (noise, heating/cooling, resale? kids?). The second option is to remove the wall and allow for full open plan living, which lends its way to asthetically more pleasing. We currently do not have any children however understand the need to seprate areas down the track, so we would like to get an opinion from the forum to see what way they would sway. The images below show the wall in question, as well as a floor plan to show currently as built layout.

Floor Plan

View from Dining:

View from Family:

Lower lounge:

Dining look down to Lower lounge:

We have also considered a third option which would be removing part of the wall to create a door on the opposite side, so we could have a view to the backyard from the dining room but also be able to close off as required. There is already a door to the left hand side of this area from our walkway - this would mean three doors along the same wall. Not a huge issue but something to consider.

We would love some feedback! thanks !
Related
23/05/2023
Demolition Questions

Building A New House

We had this happen to us last year and got charged a variation. Try and give away as much as you can that is usable to charity otherwise if you are in Sydney I have a…

7/06/2023
Renting knock-down rebuild pre council/demolition

Building A New House

We've had the offer of a short term tenant whilst waiting for CDC/DA home approval and demolition for our knock down rebuild. It would achieve a pretty low rent as it's…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum