Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Home Security Camera options

Page 1 of 1
Good morning,

I'd love to hear from forum members about their Home Security Cameras.

Particularly on the following topics:

1. What Brand/Model do you have?
2. How many cameras?
3. Front yard, back yard, sides of home, garage etc
4. For front camera placement, where did you place the camera (single storey / 2 storey)
5. was cabling done during the build or if done after completion, did it add much expense?
6. now that you have had it for a while, what features to you love, or what features do you now wish you had?

Courtesy of arcadeit

7. What security system software are you using and does it support all operating systems (Windows, OS X, Android, IOS, etc)?
8. What storage hardware have you installed (PVR, NAS, etc)?
9. How do you access imagery (phone/tablet, computer, TV, etc)?

Feel free to add more relevant questions as this progresses.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.
1) Hikvision
2) Never enough:):):)
3) All of the above
4) Front door, second story right, first story left
5) During build, 80-100 per point is the going rate
6) I would have bought more PTZ cameras if they'd had this one when I initially built, but I added a few when they came out. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281357 ... 77705.html

They have auto tracking and zooming when motion detected and that's really cool!

Also Hikvisions apps are fantastic.

I'm interested in this too. We have wired PoE cables around our home, but have not yet made decisions on cameras or systems. So, this is what I can answer:

1. Not selected yet
2. Six
3. Single left and right of house (narrow), and two pairs front and back of house (very long) in what the military would call interlocking arcs.
4. All at single story height.
5. Cabled during build. We are building a custom house, so the cabling was done as part of our IT setup and cost what it cost.
6. Not implemented yet.

Additional questions for everyone:

7. What security system software are you using and does it support all operating systems (Windows, OS X, Android, IOS, etc)?
8. What storage hardware have you installed (PVR, NAS, etc)?
9. How do you access imagery (phone/tablet, computer, TV, etc)?
Not using any "security system" software as such. Have a Bosch home security system which is connected to my network but I use a QNAP Surveillance Station App to record video as well as local sdcards on the cameras. QNAP has apps for android as well as IOS and Windows. Technically any OS as it is browser based to access the cameras. I also use the Hikvision app also available on IOS, Android, and Windows. The cameras can be connected to the Bosch alarm system with separate cabling but I didn't do mine that way. I have a higher end QNAP though with as I have a lot of Cameras and I also use it as my media centre doing transcoding etc.

9) All of those:) Mostly phone and tablet. I got a great cheap octacore 10" Android tablet from Aliexpress and use it on a wall mount to watch the cameras when I'm bored:):)

I have Arlo Pro 4 camera system as motion detect alert and with free cloud storage 7 days , easy set up it is excellent.
I also have Hikvision 8 camera system loop recording, currently trying to configure it for viewing on mobile phone
Both are excellent and there is never enough cameras, but you can turn them off line when required.
Hi all

We just completed an install over the Christmas break for one of our clients.

Package included :

Some of the features we programmed in to the Home Center controller for the cameras

1. NSC
2. 6
3. Front yard, back yard, sides of the home, garage all of these.
4. 2 storey
5. Cabling was done during the construction and not too much cost me.
6. I love their 24/7 hours service and remote access.

7. Windows, OS X, Android, IOS all are supported by this system.
8. PVR
9. I access through PC and IOS.
Overall, I like their services and it's really secure my home. I am loving it!!
10 months on, how is everyone’s system doing?

Any changes or new hardware ?

Anyone looping it into Control4 as one example?

1. What Brand/Model do you have? - Hikvision
2. How many cameras? - 2
3. Front yard, back yard, sides of home, garage etc - front yard and inside
4. For front camera placement, where did you place the camera (single storey / 2 storey) - front door
5. was cabling done during the build or if done after completion, did it add much expense? - during build
6. now that you have had it for a while, what features to you love, or what features do you now wish you had?
1. Milesight MS-C5375-PB2.8, MS-C2975-PB2.8 & MS-C5375-EPB (bought various models for comparison)
2. Five atm planning on adding two more.
3. 1x front, 1x each side & 2x at back
4. All are mounted under eaves or on wall at same height.
5. Cabling done for 4 cameras during build about $500 to get done, the 5th I ran cables myself.
6. Nothing really, mobile app just has a few bugs but generally works fine.
7. N/A
8. Milesight 9 channel NVR with 8TB HDD.
9. Via App & PC
DONT REPLY as requested: Ugh - I was about to replay - then realized the public info here is a gold mine for smart but lazy wrong-doers.
This question is not about opinions, advice, or help - Its getting users to basically reveal their security systems, which is usually not a good idea.
southpacific
DONT REPLY as requested: Ugh - I was about to replay - then realized the public info here is a gold mine for smart but lazy wrong-doers.
This question is not about opinions, advice, or help - Its getting users to basically reveal their security systems, which is usually not a good idea.

The whole idea of a public forum is to share thoughts and questions. NOT address'

I agree that it is a gold mine of information, but that it what forums are all about.
Isnt that why you shared your Rain Water Harvesting System post?
Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

3/04/2024
PoE Intercom & NVR Camera

Building A New House

which 1) PoE based video intercom is best for two storey home. I am looking with two monitor, one in GF and another FF so someone in home can…

23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum