Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Wireless vs Wired home alarms?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I am about to do a new house build and i am going through the electricals with my builder.

I'm building a double storey house and I'm just wondering, is it worth doing the home alarm pre-wire or are wireless home alarm solutions good enough?

What are your experiences on wired vs wireless?

Anyone heard about wireless home alarms being jammed by intruders?

Thanks in advance.
F
I'd say if you could have a complete wired alarm system installed at building stage, it'd be the better option. You wouldn't have to worry about replacing batteries in PIRs and reed switches and have detectors lose communications. Although I'm not against wireless alarm components, I wouldn't lean towards a complete wireless alarm but that's my opinion.

hth
Pre-wire is good option.
g33kerb0t
Hi All,

I am about to do a new house build and i am going through the electricals with my builder.

I'm building a double storey house and I'm just wondering, is it worth doing the home alarm pre-wire or are wireless home alarm solutions good enough?

What are your experiences on wired vs wireless?

Anyone heard about wireless home alarms being jammed by intruders?

Thanks in advance.

I will always prefer wireless security system as wired security system can mess sometimes if not installed properly. If you prefer to choose hardwired security system, you need to be very careful about the installation and placement. Don't know if electrician can pay so much attention while installing. A wrong placement of detector for example if it is in front of your window, it will set the alarm off every time vehicle passes by. Get a licenced technician to install it.
Hardwired is always better

No batteries to change, no range issues

Use a security installer not an electrician, security installers need to be licensed in most states, so check as each state has its own requirements.
A wireless home alarm system is best. No need for drilling holes or making other modifications. But make sure to choose high-quality security gear.
I think wired is best too because then you don't have to worry about changing batteries etc.

I do agree that get a professional security company to have a look at the placement of the detectors.

I initially suggested a few locations which I think is suitable but the professional changed it and explained to me. All are great reason.
wired too:-D
I can only speak on Bosch alarms, but in general wireless and wired are good the only problem with wireless are they require batteries of cause and they go into a 3 minute sleep cycle after being triggered once even if the alarm is not armed. If you can get it pre-wired it will be better for future reasons encase you upgrades that don't support wireless.
Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum