Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Securing a Garage Door?

Page 1 of 1
We have a bog standard remote operated sectional garage door. When we go away I trun off the power. Has anyone got any other ideas for making the garage door more secure while we're away? Some form of lock?
I guess if its off - then install a few bolts either side. You could have a padlock on them if you wished.

BUT - remember to unlock before use.
Thanks, was thinking the same but I may just go with a couple of long shank padlocks through the holes in the rails.

But as you say - critical to remove before repowering the door - may have to put a note to myslef on the switch
i believe there is an electronic lock solenoid option
that is wired into roller door circuitry
when motor is operating solenoid is retracted from locking door
when motor is not operating solenoid locks door in closed position
Thanks, I'll make some enquiries with BnD
Using the motor to secure the door isn't a good idea, because the manual release (in case of emergency) allows the door to be pulled up manually by disengaging the motor mechanism completely.

Two folding latches secured into the concrete and attached to the bottom of the door is best. Disengage the motor mechanism every time you lock bolts, and you'll never stuff anything up.
I agree with cili. Manual release may take away all the security if someone knows how to disengage the motor mechanism. Thus, there is a risk in implementing that. However, the idea of concrete may work well.
anupama
hi i am discussing the tips to prevent breakage

1) do not leave the garrage door remote in your vehicle.
2) Invest in a keychain remote opener – Stop using that remote you clip to your visor and get a keychain remote opener that you can leave on your keys.
3) Secure your garage door emergency release
4) Keep it locked – Put a deadbolt on the door between your house and garage;
5) Make sure the door from your garage into your house is as secure as your front door
6) Install a wide-angle peephole in the door between your house and your garage – You’ll at least be able to see what’s going on if you hear a strange noise; rather than opening the door to find out.
7) Frost or cover your garage windows – Don’t do thieves any favors by enabling them to see when your vehicle is gone, a better idea would be to replace the door with one that lacks windows.
Padlock the throw latch on your garage door when you’re out of town – If you don’t have a manual lock on your garage door, you can use a c-clamp tightened down on each side of the door track to effectively “lock” down the door. It’s similar to those small window track locks you can buy for your home interior windows.
10) Don’t neglect maintenance on the mechanical parts of your roll-up garage door and keep an eye out for corrosion. Don’t forget the door from your garage to your house; check the frame, locks, hinges and any replaceable items.

if you keep this things in mind you really need not worry

and set the home location on your gps to a landmark near your home, so if someone finds your keys they can try nearby cars until it unlocks, then use your gps to drive to your house with your front door key
I would add a bolt to it, that's all
Related
26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

15/12/2023
Garage Door Centre Pillar is 2 different levels

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, have purchased a house with 2 single garage doors. The Centre pillar one side sits proud to the other. Can I change 2 doors into one. Please see picture.

20/02/2024
Do I need a new garage door motor or I being scammed?

Windows & Doors

My garage door has started playing up recently. Sometimes (and getting more frequent) when I press the button to open it, it wont. The motor is an ATA GD0-6V3. Red and…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum