Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

CCTV for Home Security

Page 1 of 1
Hi mates,

Can I get some help regarding CCTV installation for new house. Is pre cabling required. I prefer hard wire methods. Any help is much appreciated.

If its double story then yes you should pre wire while building. If its single story you should be able to do the wiring post handover.

Dont bother with analogue cameras, run Cat6 cable to where you want each camera and then buy a good 2MP-3MP IP Camera, if you get a POE switch you can power the camera off the same cat6 cable.

If you hunt around you should be able to get Hikvision 3MP cameras for about $150 if you grey import them from china, locally they retail for about $260.
Even if you have a 2 story, depending on where you want cameras, you might be able to do cabling after, eg if you're only putting them in eaves. Otherwise get it done pre.
Also you don't need a POE switch if your NVR has POE. Get pOE IP cameras for sure. Get all the cables terminated where you will keep your NVR. Ours is in a linen closet.
Buy all the components on eBay or aliexpress. Look up camera reviews before you buy any though. All the advertising looks great, but there is a lot of crap out there.

If you need more advice we'll need more info
Here's a +1 for the Hikvision cameras.

I've now got a couple of them up on my house.
For a more straight forward installation free of any potential issues, pre-cabling is advised.
I recommend getting your pre cabling done by the person who will be installing the cameras, it can result in a neater installation afterward.

If it is a double story house, pre-cabling is highly recommended.
Related
12/07/2023
Prewiring a House for Data, CCTV, and Future-Proofing

Building A New House

Scientists have used random matrix theory to demonstrate theoretically that the neutrino mass hierarchy can be explained mathematically. When a substance is fragmented…

23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum