Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Security lighting design & solar powered options?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am moving into a duplex and want to install some extra security lighting. Are there general design rules for optimum placement/layout of lights? I guess trying to light up all corners and pathways is the general rule.

Also I've seen a few solar powered sensor LED lights available. I guess these are DIY install. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they as good as mains powered LED security lights?
Mr. Beams battery powered LED spotlight with infrared sensor is the way to go
Althom
Mr. Beams battery powered LED spotlight with infrared sensor is the way to go

I had a look. They look pretty good but I think I prefer solar powered that way they are set and forget.
Only got to change the batteries about every 6 months or so
TheOtherLeft
Hi all,

I am moving into a duplex and want to install some extra security lighting. Are there general design rules for optimum placement/layout of lights? I guess trying to light up all corners and pathways is the general rule.

Also I've seen a few solar powered sensor LED lights available. I guess these are DIY install. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they as good as mains powered LED security lights?

We have sensor security solar powered LED lights in the back yard of our townhouse and in the garage and they are bloody great! From Bunnings. Not sure what brand though sorry. If they muck up, just take em back and swap them!
Solar LED sensor lights are not as good as mains powered ones...but if you're only illuminating a small area and you don't want to pay a sparky, they can do the job.

I bought one for our bin store down the back which was too difficult to get power to. I think it cost me about $15 from eBay. It still works after 2 years and provides enough light (just) to find your way to the bins and not trip over stuff. When it stops working I will buy another!
Related
23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

21/10/2023
Rain coming through security door

General Discussion

Hi When it rains in a particular direction water comes through the security door. It hits the main door and the bottom swells and jams. There is already a cover over the…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum