Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Fire Refuge/Wine Cellar

Page 1 of 1
We are looking to build a custom design home in the Perth Hills near a national park and are currently in the very early concept stages. Inlight of the several fire disasters in the past few years a large part of our early planning is surrounding fire safety. We have been toying with the idea of a wine cellar for a few months now (using the slope of the block) and now we are wondering if we go down that path of if it would be possible/feasible to build it to a fire refuge specs just in case.

Google is normally my friend but but I cant seem to find much on home Fire Refuge design.

Any thoughts?
Brookview
We are looking to build a custom design home in the Perth Hills near a national park and are currently in the very early concept stages. Inlight of the several fire disasters in the past few years a large part of our early planning is surrounding fire safety. We have been toying with the idea of a wine cellar for a few months now (using the slope of the block) and now we are wondering if we go down that path of if it would be possible/feasible to build it to a fire refuge specs just in case.

Google is normally my friend but but I cant seem to find much on home Fire Refuge design.

Any thoughts?

I am also in the Perth hills and have done exactly what you are proposing, great idea go with it as it will give you peace of mind and cool wine
Try "Bush fire shelter" on google you should get some hits
Databoom
Brookview

Any thoughts?

I am also in the Perth hills and have done exactly what you are proposing, great idea go with it as it will give you peace of mind and cool wine

have you got any links to the way you did this. It might be of help to this poster.
Databoom
Brookview

Any thoughts?

Hey databoom - thats great to here can I ask how you went about this? was it a prefabricated shelter type or a custom design?
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37762&hilit=barossa&start=40
this was one done in the barossa valley as a wine cellar. Precast.
I also found this info by googling:

http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums ... 9204488759
Steen7771
Default Re: Underground fireproof bunkers
We have been producing Pre-cast underground bunkers for a few months now. It started out as something we did for friends and family. We decided for our own houses it was far easier to simply pre-cast it and drop it in a hole. From there we got about to designing all the necessary features. Air supplies aren't really required, there's ample air for several adults to survive several hours. You need good fire and first aid training, a first aid kit, water, clothes, food etc. Over complicating these things pushes up the cost and families won't be able to do it. You need a good, thick, concrete structure, buried, easy to get in and out of, and large enough to have a bit of air around you. Ours all have the ability to park on top of - which makes them more attractive in the off-times. Quit the hullabaloo - keep them simple, strong and cheap and keep them affordable for families. avoid expensive re-breathers etc. You aren't going to live in it, it's safe haven for an hour. visit our very amateur website if you want to argue this out or get more info. Fire bunkers will save lives, but not if there's years of debate about how to do it! http://www.fireshelters.com - I do have an interest in this business but only as far as bringing an inexpensive product to the fore before the big boys do and charge double the price.

How much does a fireproof bunker cost? How many would be needed? If 500,000 were needed, how long would it take to make and install them? Who would pay for them?
We can make 2 per day, possible 4 if we trippled our staff. They are normally under $5000 but each site is different and each shelter or bunker has custom features, access, etc. eg - we can cast in roll bars around the entry to prevent fallen branches blocking your escape .

A very large one, for say 8 adults, would be just under $8000.

Steen

Be safe everyone.

and this one:

http://www.fireproofshelters.com.au/
You could also build your own pretty easily.
Concrete slab on the ground ,reinforced core filled Besser block walls then another slab on top all to your exact design.

Stewie
Brookview
Databoom
Brookview

Any thoughts?

Hey databoom - thats great to here can I ask how you went about this? was it a prefabricated shelter type or a custom design?

I incorporated the shelter within the construction of the main build, cavity brick with reo and 100 mm concrete, tied to permanent formwork (fielders), backfilled with drainage ect
Related
7/06/2023
Radiant or Convection Wood Fire

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

We are tossing up between a Jarrahdale radiant wood fire (the Pioneer) and a convection wood fire (Innovator or Countryman) but cannot decide on which type of wood fire is…

2/08/2023
Fire seperation qall

General Discussion

Need some advice. Living in a townhouse with one common wall, recently we have discovered that the fire separation wall is incomplete and on further investigation, support…

13/08/2023
HOUSE FIRE

General Discussion

Not back peddling at all. You seem to have issues with comprehension my friend. Guy fcked up, he's considering being dishonest with his bank and hiding it. It will end…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum