Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Which Home Alarm system?

Page 2 of 2
Hello,

Basically there is no BETTER system for a simple domestic situation... all the other security mobs will argue this and that about features etc etc... but you have to ask yourself what do u want it to do?

i would assume your answer would be... for it to work.. whenever i want it to, while being easy to use and easy on the eye.. mabey call my mobile ( which all systems do ) and a keyfob or two ( which all systems can incorporate )

you will get all the same options no matter which system you choose... in this type of situation i advise the client to go on keypad looks and functionality.
in almost every small domestic situation, the client wants something easy to use and something that looks half decent...

I suggest either a ness D8x or bosch solution panel ( depending on what functions needed )

I would choose ness over bosch as their keypads are much more user friendly, and have a wide range of keypads that suit almost any decor.. from colour touchscreens to keypds that blend with clipsals saturn switch/gpo range.. they also have alot more inbuilt functions for future upgrades than the low level bosch for the same price.

will they be installed into an existing home?

also you may want to think about other options that you may find useful that will dictate which panel you are being quoted for..

sms reporting,
email reporting
ability to control and view status via smartphone/internet
etc etc etc
obviously these are advanced options that you may or may not want or ever use... but can dramatically change the install price due to extra programming and panel upgrades etc.

if you are budgeting for a basic 3 sensor alarm system into a home that is DURING building stage ( i.e no plaster on the walls )
including 1 keyfob, 1grand is plenty.. and the above quotes are silly

If the plaster is already up, the above quotes are great!!

as was suggested elsewhere go for the smaller companies, theyll offer you better service and a better price....

one thing to make sure of when you get your security installed... this is a MUST
make sure you get the installer code from your installer.!! this will enable you or any future security technician to change internal settings etc should your installer go bust, or u decide to use someone else..

i hope this helped.

chris
They are very important these days. You really cannot go on living these days without one. From someone who has been robbed, there now extremely important for my sense of security.
I bought my alarm system from http://www.harveynormansecurity.com.au/.
Hi Guys,

Im also after a home alarm system, i have gotten a few quotes so far, any thoughts on the quotes listed below?

wrexter
Hi Guys,

Im also after a home alarm system, i have gotten a few quotes so far, any thoughts on the quotes listed below?

Also interested in these. How did you go?
For me I like the home automation features and security capabilities of the hai omnipro2 series. They are widely used in the USA, and there are good software options due to the user base. It is pricey here in Australia, but you can go to www.automatedoutlet.com and buy everything you need online and ship it.

If I was putting in a new security system, I would want all the bells and whistles of being able to view cameras, change house temperature and play music in different zones and control it all from the iPad or iPhone using snaplink or haiku in the app store. Costs a bit more to add the thermostat, music and lighting, but you don't need to do it all up front as long as you wire for it, and select a system that will expand and be iPhone controllable.
dsiroky
For me I like the home automation features and security capabilities of the hai omnipro2 series. They are widely used in the USA, and there are good software options due to the user base. It is pricey here in Australia, but you can go to http://www.automatedoutlet.com and buy everything you need online and ship it.

If I was putting in a new security system, I would want all the bells and whistles of being able to view cameras, change house temperature and play music in different zones and control it all from the iPad or iPhone using snaplink or haiku in the app store. Costs a bit more to add the thermostat, music and lighting, but you don't need to do it all up front as long as you wire for it, and select a system that will expand and be iPhone controllable.

Hi,

I am looking at HAI products. Have you bought any of the stuff off the website that you have mentioned and also how do we get these products installed ? Have you had anybody assisting you with the installation ?
JT
I am building a new house in the bayside area of Brisbane

Does anyone have any names of installers who can supply and install a NEss alarm system? as I like the idea of the SMS notifications instead of having to have it monitored

Thanks

Ben
Yes, I used the hai equipment. I am fortunate enough to have friends who are electricians and av/data/security installers, so I have help on installation. You can buy locally through alloys, but they don't sell direct, and my experience is that by the time some local guy marks it up, and alloys mark it up, you are better off just buying from the USA where there is more competition and lower prices.

I purchased everything overseas except for power supplies and smoke alarms which I plan to source locally.
I am new to this forum just joined this this thread is informative for me. I currently use ADT.
Which of these is best depends upon your kind of need and the type of security you require.
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum