Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Security system: wireless or wired?

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I am about to go for the electrical appointment with my builder. Wanted some advice if it makes sense to go for a wired security system [ possibly through the builder] or get a wireless one available on ebay [shipped from Hong Kong] - sample one given below, available at a lesser price and something that I can get done later. Do the wireless ones work good enough?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wireless-AutoDial-Home-Security-Burglar-Alarm-System-A5-/250632795001?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Home_Personal_Security&hash=item3a5ae0f379

Thanks in advance.
I would never go wireless for a security system.
Then again, I'm old school and wires are my choice.
I installed a wireless alarm from Wickes about 20years ago. Quite cheap and has never given any trouble. The batteries in the sensors last nearly a year and a little flashing red light tells you when they need renewing.
I've got an ebay special wireless system. Heaps of sensors and does the job it is supposed to. I've had no dramas with it, a couple of false alarms, but it has never failed to go off when a sensor has been activated. The only real benefit a wired system has is that you don't have batteries to worry about. But the wireless system can be positioned ANYWHERE you want. Horses for courses.
Hi all
I am in the same dilemma. My builder was offering Hills Wired Security ( details below) for $1318, but I didnt go for it thinking I will go wireless. But now I am having 2nd thoughts about wireless. Anyone here with wireless security system, please help me out. Does the wireless signal ever drop??
Thanks

Hills Reliance 8, 8 zone security system with 3 PIR pet-friendly motion sensors, LCD keypad, alarm panel, tamper switch, battery pack, siren, strobe, phone point, ADSL filter, dialler and SMS module **Upgradable to accommodate additional PIR sensors (maximum 8 sensors in total).
A wired system is ALWAYS going to be more secure than a wireless system. I would only ever go wireless if I had no way what so ever of getting wires in.
I assume wireless would work if there was a power failure where wired wouldn't. The wireless ones we have investigated still require the main board to be wired but some have battery back up.
frankie3213
I assume wireless would work if there was a power failure where wired wouldn't. The wireless ones we have investigated still require the main board to be wired but some have battery back up.

Wired will still work, they come with a backup battery, wired systems are more reliable, the only time we will install wireless systems is when we can't get cables around. But even then we will always use a reliable system like a Ness or NX with wireless PIR's.

As the saying goes you get what you pay for, if you want a $139.00 wireless alarm then you get $139.00 worth of Alarm
TUBBYM
frankie3213

Wired will still work, they come with a backup battery, wired systems are more reliable, the only time we will install wireless systems is when we can't get cables around. But even then we will always use a reliable system like a Ness or NX with wireless PIR's.

As the saying goes you get what you pay for, if you want a $139.00 wireless alarm then you get $139.00 worth of Alarm

I paid about that and I got every cent of it. Really, for the money I paid, it was about as fool proof as it gets. It came preconfigured, all I had to do was insert the batteries, hook it up to power and the siren (which in my case involved lengthening the cables) and off I went. It worked beautifully. Especially the times when I forgot to switch it off when I came home. Never had a problem with it. Actually, I lie. The only problem was the double sided tape to mount the window/door detectors wasn't good to stick on the paint. But that is it. Jumping onto the "I only install wired systems coz I think they are better" is just silly. Wired and wireless, if installed correctly, both will do their job. The only advantage that wired has over wireless is that you don't have to replace batteries every 9-12 months.
I never said that I only install wired, If I cant get cables to certain places then I will installed wireless. The main problem with wireless is that people dont change the batteries, then your alarm is useless
I too am interested in whether to get a wireless or wired system. Just about to build and the security system is in my scope. I had a quote for a wireless Bosch system or a wired Ness system (bit more expensive). My gut feeling is to go with the wired system for reliability reasons.

Can you use a fob with a wired system? They seem like a pretty good way to operate. The wired system company I got a quote from said the wireless systems can be inadvertantly disarmed. What would the chances of this be?
Dilbert_Perth
Can you use a fob with a wired system? They seem like a pretty good way to operate. The wired system company I got a quote from said the wireless systems can be inadvertantly disarmed. What would the chances of this be?

Firstly, of course you can. The wireless part only refers to there being no wires in between the sensors and control unit. The wired system can also use a key fob, like a wireless system, it will have a receiver for the fob built in.

Wireless inadvertently being disarmed, it would be about as likely as your automatic garage door being inadvertently opened. Anything is possibly. But even a wired system with a key fob remote is going to suffer the same vulnerability. And I use vulnerability loosely, as it is very remote.
I now have a few quotes back for systems for our new 2 storey house and the prices vary quite a lot (still over my budget). The places I have quotes from are either all wireless (Bosch) or all hard wired (Ness). Does anyone do a hybrid system that uses both hard wired and wireless components?

I am thinking of hard wiring all of the PIRs and most of the reed switches BUT using wireless shock sensors on our windows (lots of them, all laminated glass). This will hopefully be cheaper. The shock sensors will mainly be used when we are home and want to arm the perimeter but allow us to move around inside.

Does anyone know who supplies these and who installs them in Perth?

Cheers
Nathan SteelFab
I would never go wireless for a security system.
Then again, I'm old school and wires are my choice.

Makes me laugh all that wireless security systems available that are not policed at all .
Great to see where the profitability of hightech thieves will come from
Dilbert_Perth
I now have a few quotes back for systems for our new 2 storey house and the prices vary quite a lot (still over my budget). The places I have quotes from are either all wireless (Bosch) or all hard wired (Ness). Does anyone do a hybrid system that uses both hard wired and wireless components?

I am thinking of hard wiring all of the PIRs and most of the reed switches BUT using wireless shock sensors on our windows (lots of them, all laminated glass). This will hopefully be cheaper. The shock sensors will mainly be used when we are home and want to arm the perimeter but allow us to move around inside.

Cheers

I am pretty sure both of these companies do hybrids...

I know for sure DAS does as I have used them previously.
Thanks for the info, I contacted DAS and got some names of installers, will contact them and get a quote.
Im not too sure about the hybrid system. having lived in 8 homes with fully equipped alarm systems I cant go past the Ness system. Wireless will always be more expensive (a given as no hard installation required). It sounds like you want to get an installer to install it anyway so from my experience im a fan of the hard wired system. No batteries involved and longer lasting. Recently i moved into a home with an existing Ness D16 and was after a new remote. I was referred to cbus sales but ended up purchasing from an online store who have a range of both wireless and hard wired products as well accessorie. They were much cheaper than cbus and shipped out by the next day.
Good luck.
Hi

I used a mixture of wired and wireless in my last house when I replaced the existing alarm (I didn't build). It was two-story so it was much easier to use wireless on the doors and windows that weren't already wired than it would have been to get wires to the ground floor. I also used Ness and found that their wireless was rock-solid. The wireless window reed switches were smaller than an equivalent wired one and installed in about 2 minutes.

Wireless systems can be jammed, which is why I like having wired PIRs as well.

My next house is a build, so I will use more wired zones because it is cheap/simple at build time, although I will still have wireless for keyfobs.

Paul
Dilbert_Perth

Cheers

Yes you can have a hybrid system (most systems are able to be wired and wireless, it is an interface), and as far as a wireless system being able to be disarmed who ever told you that is incorrect they, have rolling codes and are secure to australian standards.
Im not sure what your budget is, but it may be worth searching online and purchasing the parts your self and then getting an installer to install the system for you. Your idea about hard wiring sensors and then using wireless shock sensors is a good idea to keep the costs down.

I recently purchased an additional remote control for my alarm system on line. There are a few goods sites if you google: Home Security. I have used also cbus sales and homesecurityonline in the past. Perhaps firstly ask the people you got quotes off if they will install a system you purchase. If they say no your best bet is to find an installer in the yellow pages or maybe local blue who will. Generally installers will think that you expect them to warranty the products but stipulate that you only want them to warranty the install. The prodcust should come with min 1 year warranty anyway so the installer doe not need to decline the install based on this.
Related
25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum