Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

motion sensor or low wattage light

Page 1 of 1
Hi There,

I am looking to install some lights for security at both front and back yard.. Would it be better to install motion sensor lights (typically using 150W globe), or should I get the electrician to install a new light fitting that could use small wattage bulbs (LED / energy saving - 5W) and have it turned on the whole night ?)

Also, does anyone with experience on using solar LED security lights ? Is it bright enough to do the work ? (it can save me hefty installation cost since its DIY)

Thanks
g'day

go with the sensor lighting! led lights are not very good at lighting up say a whole yard if an intruder was to hop your fence.
a 150w double sensor flood work great, and are easy to install. they will light up a whole yard
)
In our previous house we had the porch and driveway lights set up to a light sensor (turns on at dusk) which was also a timer. We put in 5w CFL globes (the least wattage you can buy) and we'll do the same again in the new house once its built.
Specifically the one in this brochure - the WDL10... I Got mine directly from an electrical wholesaler.

http://www.pdl.com.au/brochures/ProtectedSeriesBrochure.pdf
You could go with a motion sensor and using low wattage CFL bulbs. If its a par38 fitting the are CFL equivalents. They take a little while to get to full brightness but that doesn't really matter in this case. I think they're around 20Watts.
Related
20/03/2024
Motion sensor for stair wall lighting

Lighting + Lighting Design

I'm curious, did they provide any reason why they did not like the idea?

8/06/2023
Slab low

Building A New House

I have the civil/drainage plans, what am I looking for?

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum