Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

DIY Crimsafe?

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

A friend of mine has just told me that Bunnings (harware store) sells mesh fly screen that you can use to install this yourself.

Is this any good? I doubt it would be as good as the proper Crimsafe screens.

And, do most of you guys opt for crim safe over normal security grilles?
hi aaurora,

we did our own flyscreens for our apartment - used the flexible fibreglass mesh from Bunnings - was dirt cheap.

you can also purchase steel mesh for bushfire prone areas.

Crimsafe I believe is a form of marine grade steel and is secured to the frame a lot better than the standard mesh flyscreen. We'll be going for this on our sliding doors, ground floor windows. I don't like the look of security grilles - we'll have great views & I don't want to diminish them in any way. Difficult to access windows will just be steel mesh (bushfire area).

Not sure if you could DIY - the production process would be quite tricky if you're not an experienced metal worker IMHO.
Cutting the thicker mesh might be a little interesting, wonder what you could use?
Interesting product. I imagine it comes at a price??
By the sounds of things however its not a DIY material.

QUOTE from the "CrimSafe" website: "You can kick at Crimsafe Mesh repeatedly, and you will definitely injure yourself before you break through it. And it's incredibly difficult to cut Crimsafe mesh. You can take a machete and hack away at our mesh and you'll have a hard time getting anywhere. You might put a few holes in it but you won't be able to fit through them."
How much?
Believe me nothing is Crime Safe so I rather say deterrent. Overseas I lived in houses with bars as ornaments yet you still not safe.
Some good information here thanks everyone! I'm looking at buying a flat but all the affordable ones seem to be ground floor (go figure huh). I think I will have to factor in the costs of security and something like crimsafe. I just wouldn't feel comfortable without some extra protection.

Does someone have any cheap DIY tips for something other than crimsafe? The places i was looking at dont' have much of a view so I don't need to worry about big metals bars or anything! Definitely would want something a step up from mesh fly screens though. I want to keep the theives out, don't care much about the flys!
We put 'crimsafe' style mesh on all our windows at our last place; not only for security but because it is also catsafe too!

It looks a billion times better than bars or diamond screens or regular flyscreen that inevitably ends up a bit tatty over time and you'd be surprised how little it obscures the view from inside.

I have no doubt that it isn't crimsafe, however it would take a very determined crim to get through it. It is expensive though.
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

4/10/2023
DIY External facade stone cladding

General Discussion

Re my second point – yes exactly. And often it may take additional time if the manufacturer recommends no more than X meters…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum