Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

A guy keeps on pinching my car space

Page 1 of 2
What should I do with a guy that whener comes in parks in my carspace and gives S@#@#@! about it even when I confront him he does get upset and walks away muttering Who needs your bloody car space anyway! but he always comes back. Even now when I need friends, nursing staff and ambulance transport parking in the space.
I do not want to start a war! I can simply cut his car in two halves virtually in minutes. So what would be my next option?
Thanks
Fake parking infringement notice
more details needed on how the car park belongs to you....
serge44
more details needed on how the car park belongs to you....

I'm the legal owner by title
in a unit complex or in a car parking station?

are there posts either side of the car park?
If you are the legal owner, get his car towed.
Build a cage around your carspace and put a lock on it

I used to live in an apartment with over 100 underground car spaces, some owners did cage their spots
in a unit complex and there
are there posts either side of the car park
Put hooks on the poles and put a chain across it. He will eventually learn to park elsewhere, and when he does hopefully you can stop putting the chain up.
buildingwithhamra
Put hooks on the poles and put a chain across it.

...while his car is there!

Seriously, it is these petty disputes that can end up blowing up way out of proportion. So let's assume that you've tried the amicable negotiation approach, explaining nicely and politely that the space is legally yours and required at all times for use and use by emergency vehicles, and it hasn't worked. Give yourself some legal foundation just in case things get narky and send him and the body corporate / strata committee a registered letter stating your objection to him using the space, pointing out your legal ownership of the space, and removing all consent, implied or otherwise, for him continuing to use it. If you can think of a situation where a nursing or ambulance vehicle would be disadvantaged by not being able to park there when they wished then include this as well. What this does is face him squarely with trespass if he continues.

Unfortunately, towing his car, as satisfying as that would be, could potentially land you with a criminal charge of theft. Similarly, "accidentally" damaging his car while trying to walk past it or slashing the tyres ("you want this space so badly you can damn well stay there!") is just going to start an escalating cycle of revenge that you will lose (because they won't care).

What I've generally found though is that most people freak out when confronted by the legal system. Hence the letter - you've basically covered all the points required for a civil trespass case. Yes it sucks that you're the one that has to do all the legwork while they get away with being a ****, but that's how the system works.

The middle ground is to block the car in next time it appears. Chains, concrete blocks, anything that disables the car without you touching it. It risks starting the revenge cycle but it's your call as to how far the other guy could go.
Thudd ... you're like an evil, revenge-plotting mastermind ... I luv it
What area? I'm on my way!!!

Photograph the car in the space. Make up a rental agreement at a slightly silly rent - not too silly as you want him to believe it. Send a letter with a copy of the rental agreement, in the letter say, if he uses the space he is automatically consenting to the rental agreement, and if he falls into arrears you will hand it over to a debt collection agent.

Or, take him to VCAT... and claim $x,xxx for your space being trespassed upon. (about $30 cost, I think).

Or, put a sign up "Private parking, tow away area"

Ed
buildingwithhamra
Put hooks on the poles and put a chain across it. He will eventually learn to park elsewhere, and when he does hopefully you can stop putting the chain up.

x 2 as a cheap simple effective way to keep the tosser out.

the follow up letter in legalese would be nice too.
Use a fold up and down bollard. Simple to fit using dyna bolts. Can you park behind it safely ? ?
thumbtacks....
Thanks for your replies so far
Two alternatives I like
One is the legal approach the other is to give my car space to a new neighbour and grant him permission so he will fight it over with the other neighbour who does not give a damn about my property rights. The guy that does not give a damn is Vietnamese (kind of customary thing in Vietnam) Now let's the South American and Russian maffia in and is a mess!
Hi, my husband is Vietnamese and I know what you mean about the not giving a damn thing (not him.. others). There is this method some adopt when they are doing the wrong thing but want to get away with it. The blank face and lack of shame or guilt. It works well.

How about making a sign that says: (- change the unit # as needed.)
Xin vui lòng không công viên ở đây. Chỗ này là dành cho 4 đơn vị duy nhất. Cảm ơn bạn.
(Please do not park here. This spot is for unit 4 only. Thank you.)

I think this would perhaps call his bluff. If this doesn't work I liked the fold down bollard suggestion.
Good luck
Carmel
Hi, my husband is Vietnamese and I know what you mean about the not giving a damn thing (not him.. others). There is this method some adopt when they are doing the wrong thing but want to get away with it. The blank face and lack of shame or guilt. It works well.

How about making a sign that says: (- change the unit # as needed.)
Xin vui lòng không công viên ở đây. Chỗ này là dành cho 4 đơn vị duy nhất. Cảm ơn bạn.
(Please do not park here. This spot is for unit 4 only. Thank you.)

I think this would perhaps call his bluff. If this doesn't work I liked the fold down bollard suggestion.
Good luck

Now that is clever - but how about some Vietnamese expletives to flavour the message?

Ed

I did that to my hubby once. I can't remember why I was so mad, but I wrote all of the bad words I could find in my viet dictionary on a chalk board in the garage, so that he would see it when he drove in that evening. He walked in laughing his head off
Carmel
:lol:
I did that to my hubby once. I can't remember why I was so mad, but I wrote all of the bad words I could find in my viet dictionary on a chalk board in the garage, so that he would see it when he drove in that evening. He walked in laughing his head off

Hehehe, love your style Carmel! That made me laugh!
Related
8/12/2023
Narrow block design with 2 car space

General Discussion

dimensions on your original plan are inconsistent and with accurate dimensions (including site plan, upstairs and down) i could make a proper scale drawing with furniture…

25/05/2023
Front Gate handle keeps coming off

General Discussion

Get some long brass machine screws and bolt right through the gate and put brass acorn nuts and washers on the other side. It will never come off

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum