Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Home security system

Page 1 of 2
Hi

I have no idea about the home security system. With a house of 27 sq, can anyone recommend how many sensors, internal and external sirens I need to install at least?

Thanks guys!!
Hi kikin

It's hard to tell how many sensors you would need without some idea of layout. Is it single or double story?

Have a walk through from all your entry points and work out what areas you would like protected. Most houses have 1 sensor at the entry, 1 sensor in some common traffic area like a hallway or lounge/dining, usually 1 sensor in the main bedroom, maybe 1 sensor in the garage. You can add more sensors in areas like the study or home theatre room if applicable, depends on your layout and your budget.

Usually only 1 external siren and 1 internal siren unless you have a very long and narrow layout.
Hi, we are having an alarm fitted by PD for our Frances 29. 1 external siren, 1 internal siren in the heating intake to send the sound through the house. We are having 3 sensors, each picking up an external entry point. Hope that helps.
Wanna
Hi, we are having an alarm fitted by PD for our Frances 29. 1 external siren, 1 internal siren in the heating intake to send the sound through the house. We are having 3 sensors, each picking up an external entry point. Hope that helps.

Hi,

How much are they included installation?

Thanks.
kikin
Hi,

How much are they included installation?

Thanks.

Hi, quote was as follows:
Bosch Ultima 880 - 8 zone panel, 3 x sensors, LCD keypad, Tamper switch, Battery pack, Sirens/strobe, Dialler, SMS module and Mode 3 Telstra connection - $1265.
We also chose to have smoke detectors wired into the alarm - $288 and remote key fobs which can be integrated with the garage door remote - $475. Hope that helps.
Are you after a monitored alarm system, or will you just rely on the siren to scare off would-be intruders? If you want back-to-base monitoring, check how much it costs. It's usually charged on a per-month basis.

We have a monitored hard-wired system with 3 PIR sensors, which easily covers our 35 square single storey home. Positioning the sensors right is essential to get good coverage. We have the option of adding a garage sensor in future if we want to, plus some additional features.

Shop around before deciding to go with the builder's package - some reputable companies will offer you "free" alarm and installation if you simply display their sign on your front fence for 12 months. Of course it isn't actually free, since you're locked into paying for monitoring for 3 years, but the total price can still work out cheaper than most others when you factor in the cost of monitoring on top of the alarm installation.
[quote="kek"]

Hi, Kek, I am also interested in home alarm system, but have little idea about it either. Could u recommend some reputable companies? TA
There are plenty to choose from. We went with ADT, but Hills have good products, so does Chubb and you might even pick up a good deal from somewhere like Harvey Norman. I know they had an online special a few weeks ago that sounded good - no idea what the system itself was like in terms of quality though.

Your insurance company might have a security company they recommend too - RACV insurance offers free quotes for security systems, just for one example.

I suggest you contact a few companies and ask for quotes - don't base your decision solely on price though, make sure you check exactly what's included, because that can vary a lot.
I am getting bosch solution 16..with 5 motion sensors, 4 door sensors, 2 lcd keypads (1 upstairs n 1 downstairs), 1 smoke detector connected to alarm, 2 remotes (connected to garage door opener), 1 internal and 1 external siren...all this installed for around 2000...
bosch solution 16 lets u connect upto 16 sensors - either wired or wireless...also u can easily program zones to separate upstairs n downstairs or doors n others.

I might go for monitoring with chubb for $26 per month...

PM me if u want details of installer.
Hang on do I smell something?

Oh that's it ........
SPAM
I installed a NESS system with 12 PIR's and remote key fobs.
I programmed it to call my mobile instead of a back to base company.

That combined with CCTV and the warning signs seem to work well.

As long as it looks like your place is harder than your neighbours, they'll go elsewhere.

But then I you have something they want, they'll try it on.

The CCTV works great when I'm in my office and I see on the monitor a "door to door saleman" checking out my ute beside the house. He crapped himself when I just appeared behind him asking what he was up to!
We are the same as Data Guys and have a Ness unit. Ours is also programmed to ring our mobiles should it go off and we have the remote key fobs too which are great when coming into the garage seeing as we have a sensor in there. Unit is hard wired but also has battery back up.

Our sensors pick up all the entry points and they cover the house really well. We have wiring in place for a CCTV camera for our porch/front entry and the screen will be in the kitchen.

We have a double storey house and we are able to arm downstairs every night which I like.
House-To-Be
We are the same as Data Guys and have a Ness unit. Ours is also programmed to ring our mobiles should it go off and we have the remote key fobs too which are great when coming into the garage seeing as we have a sensor in there. Unit is hard wired but also has battery back up.

Our sensors pick up all the entry points and they cover the house really well. We have wiring in place for a CCTV camera for our porch/front entry and the screen will be in the kitchen.

We have a double storey house and we are able to arm downstairs every night which I like.

Yesyes!! That's what we want to have!!! We want CCTVs in the porch and alfresco...

Also, we are looking for the video intercom in the front door....hope it won't cost too much....

Did you guys install your security system when building your house? or after handover?

Thanks.
House-To-Be

Nice...

We have a 24hr DVR with multiple camera's including the porch and alfresco.

We also have the DVR hooked into the TV so I can see who is at the door by turning the TV on

I have an alarm that is armed at night for downstairs as well. It doors all the windows and doors and sensors as well as glass break etc. Keeps the house safe at night.
mattwalker

We have a 24hr DVR with multiple camera's including the porch and alfresco.

We also have the DVR hooked into the TV so I can see who is at the door by turning the TV on

I have an alarm that is armed at night for downstairs as well. It doors all the windows and doors and sensors as well as glass break etc. Keeps the house safe at night.

Hi mattwalker,

May I ask how much for the CCTV system including DVR like yours around?

We want to have CCTV at porch and alfresco and they can be recorded.

Thanks.
House-To-Be

Hi House-To-Be,
Which installer that you go with? could you pm me the installer's contact details?
Thanks
Hi,

Anyone using RACV home security and monitoring? I guess they will be the most expensive one?

Is there a policy to say that the patrol has to come within certain time? Say within 10mins?

Cheers,

Tom
Wanna

putting siren in the return air will not send the sound throughout the house. Best to have it in the center of the house. High frequency sounds dont like going around corners to much.
kikin
Hi

I have no idea about the home security system. With a house of 27 sq, can anyone recommend how many sensors, internal and external sirens I need to install at least?

Thanks guys!!

I suggest you go with the Hills Alliance 16 and put reed switches on all doors with two or three duel tecks through out the house, try to avoid pet friendly detectors
Related
25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

23/05/2023
Security Account for Post Contract Variations??

Building A New House

It seems very clear to me that your contract states that a security account does NOT need to be established so the answer to the builder is NO. If in doubt find a contract…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum