Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Using solar panel for roofing?

Page 1 of 1
Who among here uses solar panels on their roofs? Planning to have it too!
Would the cost of installation paid off by making the house energy efficient?
Any suggestion is welcome.
I am a solar distributor,

There are many different qualities and performance ratings of solar! You can abolutely, get a system where you start seeing your ROI in 6 to 7 years, but theres also systems that will take you 20+ years to pay off, and that's assumming they it last that long.

Not all systems are made the same, and it is worth shopping around. Send me Pm if you'd like more info.
Thanks for the info. Sure i will. Need to discuss this with my wife first.
I think there are also government rebates for solar in some states. You and your wife might want to look into that.
Thanks Lou. Big help! We will look into that.

Cheers!
buildX
I've done an evaluation here: anewhouse for the first six months of our our 3.3kw system.

It shows the saving of $550 a year as equivalent to around 12% of the cost of the installation.

We are now almost 11 months in and it looks like we are going to make annual savings of an additional $100 a year so the actual saving is looking closer to 14% (or payback in less than 7 years
Systems are different, as stated in an upper comment, you can expect a ROI in 6 years with some systems but with other you can't get the pay off for 20+ years
I personally wouldn't have solar on my house roof, if you put it on a shed that's OK, the risks are acceptable.
Reasons that I can think of
1:Water leaks from fitment, not so important on your shed,
2: If your house catches fire, chances are the firefighters won't put the hose on it for risk of secondary power. Insurance is another story as a German friend was telling me about insurance companies not paying up in Europe because of the panels.
3:.If your roof gets damaged during a storm, chances are the SES won't put a tarp on it for the risk of secondary power.
buildX

Hey buildX - three years later, but did you end up getting the panels and a battery installed? Which city/town in AU are you based at? How did it all go and how is the system performing 2-3 years later?
buildX

I have installed the solar rooftop panels. My 5Kw solar system would take around 5 years to payback. The payback period varies from state to state.
Related
19/04/2024
Attaching roofing to brick

General Discussion

I plan on installing an undercover walkway (awning ??) from my carport to the back door as shown in sketch. I will be using Boxspan Beams and have no concerns regarding…

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

7/02/2024
Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

Building A New House

Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum