Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Which stage should we complete first?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Forum,
We have been approved to start our renovations but aren't able to afford to complete it all at once. We have decided complete the reno in stages and we are wondering which stage we should complete first to add value (incase we have to sell in the future).
The full renovation is to make the house a 4 bed, 2 bath & 2 car and our stages are:
1. Adding an Ensuite, replacing the front stairs/retaining, replacing the roof and improving the façade of the house.
2. Adding a Double garage (needs excavating) and deck above the garage
3. Extending the main bathroom, adding a laundry, open plan kitchen/dining/lounge room

Which stage do you think would add value and would be more appealing to a family buyer? We are comfortable living in the house but want to make the best choice incase we have to sell half renovated.

Thanks lizzieboocee
Based on the information I would do 1- minus the roof (unless it is structurally unsound).
Then 3. But assuming there is somewhere to park the cars.

But then again I don't know where'how you are adding an ensuite (taking from somewhere else, extending?)

Be careful not to over capitalise. That is the number 2nd main mistake people make. Number 1- underestimating the cost.
Thank you @travelbug and @oliver1. We have decided to complete no. 1 first. Ensuite & front yard/retaining wall. The ensuite is an extension into the unusable side of the yard but is looking pricey.
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

11/05/2023
Building certificate for each stage

General Discussion

Not unless you have managed to put it as a special condition into the contract somehow.

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum