Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Help RE painting before selling.

Page 1 of 1
We're about to renovate the interior of our house (all new plaster walls and ceilings, vinyl timber look flooring in living areas [this one http://www.harveynorman.com.au/allure-l ... oring.html], carpet in BRs, new BIRs, and fresh paint throughout) and will be putting it on the market later in the year when we build a new house.

Obviously when we sell we want to get the best price possible, so I'm wondering what tips you have RE painting to add value to the house? I'm going to stay away from bright colors, (at this point I'm leaning towards 1/2 strength Dulux "Buff It" on the walls and a white on the ceilings/trim).

Am I best off having the exact same colors through the whole house (inc bathroom and kitchen) or should I mix it up a little in those areas? Are feature walls a good thing or bad thing when selling? What things wont I think of because I'm a total newbie when it comes to renovating and selling? :p
Personally I'd go for a bright white throughout. Something like Dulux Lexicon quarter. Antique White is nice, but can be very creamy and dark, especially when mixed with a darker colour for the trims. How much natural light do you get throughout the home? Bright white always makes it look so much bigger.

No feature colours, it's all about making it as neutral as possible so the buyer can come through and easily recognise their vision. Some buyers aren't great at seeing that vision. They see a colour they don't like (all subjective), and they don't like the house as much. All subconscious.

I'd keep it all the same colour. Boring I know, but it's the best when selling.
Agree - as long as the house looks clean and tidy and there's no immediate work required for the new owner - they may hate the feature colours you choose - neutral is always best IMO.
Buff it is a very nice colour! 1/2 Strength is nice and light too.

We were recommended by several real estate agents to use dulux hog bristle. My works showroom has it painted in 1/4 strength which is very stark, and we are probably going to use 1/2 strength.
Dulux Natural white ive heard is a really nice white to use. I personally hate hogs bristle so if I bought a house with that colour id have to paint it all haha. Hogs bristle seems to be you either love it or hate it
LeanneR
Dulux Natural white ive heard is a really nice white to use. I personally hate hogs bristle so if I bought a house with that colour id have to paint it all haha. Hogs bristle seems to be you either love it or hate it

haha very true
enelya
Buff it is a very nice colour! 1/2 Strength is nice and light too.

We were recommended by several real estate agents to use dulux hog bristle. My works showroom has it painted in 1/4 strength which is very stark, and we are probably going to use 1/2 strength.

Even 1/2 strength is very dark, I used a sample point on the trims at hogs bristle and hogs bristle 1/4 and it was too dark for us.
Thanks guys! I haven't got sample pots yet (coz I haven't got walls yet lol!) so will try out the 1/4 strength as well. We have loads of natural light so that won't be an issue
Related
6/04/2024
Painting help please

General Discussion

Thanks will do.

14/07/2023
Painting Multifinish Plaster

Building A New House

Hi, Have used the Dulux 1 step, oil base on my walls(white set), out of can it’s already a more thinner product than a final coat paint Also in water base Water or…

5/03/2024
Painting Acrylic rendered retaining wall

General Discussion

Thanks mate, is there a standard off the shelf type breathable product I can apply DIY? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum