Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

What can't you live without in your home?

Page 2 of 2
I have been told that they are "powder rooms" when they have a sink included, or a "WC" when the are just the toilet on their own.
Plenty of storage, 2 bathrooms and a pool....
I have to have:
Guest toilet
Ensuite with heated washlet
Enough undercover outdoor area for cooking
I had to have 2 toilets as we were so sick of kids screaming at us about how they're busting everytime you're in there.
A big vanity area. I HATE having a vanity squished in the bathroom.
Lots of wardrobe space for my clothes and shoes as above.
Built in robes even in spare rooms so there is plenty of storage (plenty of storage being another thing)
Lots of cupboard and bench space in the kitchen and a WIP.
Open plan living so I can always see what my monsters are doing
Thank you for all your input. We incorporated a lot of your must haves into our latest build and it sold within two weeks of putting it on the market. Actually we got an offer within 2 days of our first open home, it just took an extra 10 days to negotiate. I don't want to celebrate too early but we have accepted the offer and are now waiting for exchange of contract. fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. Oh and I also styled a couple of rooms of the house for sale (did it myself) and got professional photos which came up fab if I do say so myself. Of course it was all due to the styling
A pantry and a spacious bathroom, these I can't live without.

________
Didsbury
A lot of the above... and a kitchen sink with a remote drain opener... I hate putting my hands in dirty (soaking) water to open the drain!
Decent sized bedrooms, not these little shoebox size rooms I see so often
Natural light – preferably oriented east west with plenty of windows facing north
r.c. zone air conditioning
A stainless steel laundry tub and enough room to put laundry baskets, dog food, dirty cricket gear and so on. I think laundries are often designed by people who don't use them.
Storage, storage, storage. Well designed storage too, not just an empty cupboard. It makes the difference between making a house feel comfortable or cluttered.
* Formal Living, my escape!'
* study/guest towards the front of the house, out looking the front garden.
* Alfresco entertainment
* Butlers Kitchenette & servery (must haves)
* high ceilings
* balcony!
I think you may want to ask a man's opinion when it comes to the garage - especially if you want him to do some fix up stuff for the house. He may need a store room of sorts to hold all his tools. I second the opinion on power points too. You should have points at least in every other corner of the room so that you don't have to worry about plugging in stuff or shifting furniture around. Whatever it is, remember a house is a work in progress though. You'll have time to tweak even after the initial build is over, don't fret!
Related
20/05/2023
Frame without roof for 2 months, mould and water pooling

Building A New House

This certainly doesn't look good. I would be engaging with an independent inspector to have a look at this. As for the unscheduled site visits, most builders are quite…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

15/02/2024
QLD - Builder finished without notifying Building Certifier

General Discussion

Hi, I contracted a Builder to do a Garage to Bedroom + ensuite conversion (Class 1a), the Builder engaged the Certifier and Engineer and received BDA from the Certifier…

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum