Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Considering new floor plan - advice please

Page 1 of 1
I've noticed that new townhouses being built around me that are very similar in floorspace are going for $100k more than our house is worth. I know "new" always gets a premium but I also think that their layout might be part of it. Primarily they have master suites which mine doesn't. So I have been playing with my floorplan (Note this is not to scale and is just some ideas by me). I reckon by losing a bedroom upstairs I could get a master suite see below.

But not wanting to lose a bedroom I'd need to reconfigure downstairs to create the 3rd bedroom/study - as below.

My question is would having the master suite upstairs off-set the loss of the second living area downstairs in terms of value. I'd be interested to hear views?
I don't think so. Since the family area on the original plan would essentially be your meals area. I like your changed plan except for the toilet facing the door in the main bathroom, and the fact person in bed 3 would have to go up stairs to shower.
I like it too. Ensuites seem to be a must. The study can be a small tv room for people if they only need 2 Bedrooms. Makes a better rental option too..basically 2 bedrooms, 2. Bathrooms, study.
Would appeal to flatters cos each get a bathroom.

Great job!
d@n
I like your changed plan except for the toilet facing the door in the main bathroom, and the fact person in bed 3 would have to go up stairs to shower.

Yes that is a downside there is no space to fit a shower downstairs and the main bathroom is always going to be a compromise as there is no space to separate the WC from the rest of the room - it doesn't have to face the door however this is just a sketch of a possible outline. I thought there at least it would separate it from the vanity a bit. I know from this site there are a number of people who do not like having the WC in the bathroom and especially not too close to the vanity.

kiwi
The study can be a small tv room for people if they only need 2 Bedrooms. Makes a better rental option too..basically 2 bedrooms, 2. Bathrooms, study.
Would appeal to flatters cos each get a bathroom

That's true - and longer term that is our plan to rent it out. Thanks
Depends on your target demographic. Give the people what they demand and it will sell.

If you are doing it for resale speak to agents and get their opinion.
What is the make up for the area? Families, DINKS? That will answer your question.
Be careful not to over capitalise. The reno won't be cheap.
Thanks Travelbug - the changes would primarily be for me I just don't want to lose the money on it when I finally come to sell or lease out.
Related
25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum