Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Ceiling fans ... will it increase/decrease home value?

Page 1 of 2
So I'm having a debate with my partner about installing ceiling fans into our Melbourne CBD apartment. He reckons it'll bring down the value of the home, whereas I reckon it should increase the value, if done tastefully, of course. Maybe, it won't sway the value of the home at all?

Personally, I much prefer using the ceiling fan than a stand fan during those days when it's not hot enough to warrant turning on the air-con.

What do you think?
if anything I would think it would increase it. But its such a small thing that I don't think it would make a difference either way. you will either get a buyer that loves fans or doesn't; the buyer who does may be happy to pay an extra $200 for your apartment, because that is all it would cost them to put in themselves. not a very substantial increase in value though.
I agree with donuts. If properly done (and I mean some good quality fans), the fans should increase the value of your home. The average customer is getting educated about the benefits of using fans and with that comes the perception of better value with fans being installed in homes. In fact, proof of my point is evident wherein more and more adverts for houses being sold include the fact that all bedrooms and living areas have fans installed.
IMHO: Go ahead and install them.
Our passive solar house has good shading in summer and we only need to run ceiling fans overnight to stay comfortable. This is compared to our previous house where the AC ran all day in summer.

Savings in cooling at least $360 over summer.
I would say that fans would make no change in value to a property. After all they are $60 a pop.
However if installed in a less than tasteful way they might put people off buying your place.
Eve Dweller
I would say that fans would make no change in value to a property. After all they are $60 a pop.
However if installed in a less than tasteful way they might put people off buying your place.

Personaly, I would never install such low cost fans - not that they perform any less than a $200 fan but from the fact they more often than not, would not be aesthetically pleasing. I would put a good quality fan with a very good finish , costing around the $200 mark each.
Dont forget that it costs around $90 per fan to install.
Do the math for an average of 5-6 fans per house and you can quickly see where this is going.

From an effeciency point of view - unbeatable.
xanthrope
Dont forget that it costs around $90 per fan to install.

Does that labour cost include creating a new power point for the fan?
A key factor to consider is the height of your ceilings. I am tall so ceiling fans in a house with 2.4m ceilings would make me not buy on account of my need to live without a fractured skull. But in a 2.7m ceiling house, ceiling fans would be a plus for me.
Further to Barkers point, think about where they are going in minor bedrooms - can be dangerous with bunk beds. even with 9 ft ceilings.

If you are selling to a family market, I guess this could be a factor for some people.
I agree, bunk beds could be an issue. We had installed fans after selling off the bunk beds coming to think of it....
Unfortunately, we did some measurement and won't be able to install the ceiling fans because the ceiling's too low

Shucks ... I really wanted the fans. Hahaha! It doesn't really matter for me since I'm only 5'5, but all my 6' friends have to watch their arms when they come over.

O'well, it's back to the stand-fans .. pffft.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!
Ceiling fans for me is a No No...it's to old fashion- and it makes the room look smaller as it takes up quite a bit of space.

The only time i will consider a ceiling fan is for a wooden home with a very high ceiling.

Regards,
Michael
I think ceiling fans would increase the value of a house, again, if done properly (not if you have low ceilings, right placement, etc).
shape

The only time i will consider a ceiling fan is for a wooden home with a very high ceiling

Just curious shape. Why does the home have to be wooden?
shape
Ceiling fans for me is a No No...it's to old fashion- and it makes the room look smaller as it takes up quite a bit of space.

The only time i will consider a ceiling fan is for a wooden home with a very high ceiling.

Regards,
Michael

good grief, now ceiling fans are old fashioned? not everyone likes modern decor and ceiling fans provide low cost cooling to bridge the gap between comfortable weather and a/c weather. Our ceilings fans get used before the a/c gets turned on - unless it is going to be a hot day anyway but they let us use the a/c much less. I firmly believe function is always much more important than form and once you start putting form before function you have your priorities all wrong and functional items will always be functional no matter what the trends say. "fashions" are for people who haven't figured out what their own tastes are, people who know what they like and what works for them do what they like in spite of fashions and trends.
If they squeak and bob around when they are running when trying to sell your house it may cause the punters some concern. If they are switched off and are rusty this may also cause some concern. Replace and daggy noisy ones before sale, makes it easier to sell.
well i just bought 6 ceiling fans on sale and I don't even have my plans drafted yet! Was a good deal. Yesterday in stinking hot weather had the fan going and for most of the day it was enough. And my current house is NOT passive solar, more like solar hot rock.
donuts
shape

The only time i will consider a ceiling fan is for a wooden home with a very high ceiling

Just curious shape. Why does the home have to be wooden?

+1

In Qld I think its a plus, we even struck rental homes off the list because they didn't have ceiling fans, and with the way the price of power now you don't want to be running you air con all the time.

Cheers Lou
Dang I lost my post

Fans are brilliant. Cheap to run, save you money not having to run a/c

I came across 'fanaway' the other day. Pretty smart idea
Related
29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum