Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Storm water pit lifting

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I have a storm water ( or drainage pit) in the back yard. Is it possible to raise its height as I wish to level the backyard land. If yes, can we do it DIY or do we have to get it done from a plumber? Thanks.

Rather than increasing its height by raising it, could you not put a concrete apron around it the newer higher height you want?
Hi Callifo, Thanks for the reply. I will let you know after talking to the landscaper.
Amoljp
Hi, I have a storm water ( or drainage pit) in the back yard. Is it possible to raise its height as I wish to level the backyard land. If yes, can we do it DIY or do we have to get it done from a plumber? Thanks.

You can get pit riser.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pit+ris ... e&ie=UTF-8
You can use a riser but it might be a surcharge pit, these are designed to overflow in serious downpours, depending on your stormwater design it might be at that level for a reason.

If a surcharge pit is lifted, water could surcharge through another pit near your back door or your water could flow backwards and surcharge out of your neighbours pit. It is meant to flow overland downhill under surcharge conditions.
Pulse
You can use a riser but it might be a surcharge pit, these are designed to overflow in serious downpours, depending on your stormwater design it might be at that level for a reason.

If a surcharge pit is lifted, water could surcharge through another pit near your back door or your water could flow backwards and surcharge out of your neighbours pit. It is meant to flow overland downhill under surcharge conditions.

I don't think the plan here is to move pit up or down, it is just to bring to the level by adding more to increase height. The surcharge pipe should stay where it is (are they not supposed to have just a pipe for surcharge? why Pit?).
Amoljp

Hi Amoljp, How did you go with raising your stormwater pit. Are you based in Sydney? Did you have to get approval from Sydney water and the council? I have the same problem. The slab of the house has been built almost a metre higher than the stormwater pit and the backyard is not very big so I have to lift it up to level it out. It also means I need retaining walls at the fence to contain it. Thanks
Related
7/04/2024
Storm water overflow pit, is this right?

Building A New House

Thanks for that, the PVC pipe is still about 40cm below ground level and it sticks out of the sand with no end cap or anything on it just open pipe, is this the finished…

26/11/2023
Storm water drainage

Building A New House

Hello I am developing 2 side by side units. Wish someone can help me on the following questions 1) Which stage should be the storm water pipe installed during the new…

17/01/2024
Storm water extension?

General Discussion

If you need to be able to access these then you may need to dig them out and cut them so you can add a socket and a riser to the required height. We normally add a…

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum