Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Side and rear setbacks

Page 1 of 1
Just a query if anybody knows the answer. I'm about to do a works as executed with my surveyor over my build of my occupancy. What happens if my side setback which is 0.9 ends up being 0.8 or so.... You rely on the concreters to make sure that the slab is in the right location. Can council make you knock down the wall and fix it or would there be penalties imposed or exemptions. Not saying it's happening to me but would be good to know.
It'll depend a lot on your council ( you don't say where you are ). Some are tougher than others. The surveyor can also certify it as an alternate solution but you may have to clad that wall plus eaves etc out of non-flammable materials.
"You rely on the concreters to make sure that the slab is in the right location"
The builder is the one who should set out the slab not a concreter.

Stewie
Stewie D
It'll depend a lot on your council ( you don't say where you are ). Some are tougher than others. The surveyor can also certify it as an alternate solution but you may have to clad that wall plus eaves etc out of non-flammable materials.
"You rely on the concreters to make sure that the slab is in the right location"
The builder is the one who should set out the slab not a concreter.

Stewie

Hey Stewie. I mean the opposite to what your saying.. bringing the wall out. I'm saying if your side setback is supposed to be 0.9 metres but your house is bigger and all you have is 0.8
No, I know exactly what you are saying. If the NCC and council regs say 900mm from the boundary to the wall and you end up with only 800mm then it is non-compliant. However, as per my first post " The surveyor can also certify it as an alternate solution but you may have to clad that wall plus eaves etc out of non-flammable materials. ". The 900mm is there as a way of a fire break between buildings should one of them become aflame. When you go less than that you may be required to increase the fire resistance of your house.

Stewie
Stewie D
No, I know exactly what you are saying. If the NCC and council regs say 900mm from the boundary to the wall and you end up with only 800mm then it is non-compliant. However, as per my first post " The surveyor can also certify it as an alternate solution but you may have to clad that wall plus eaves etc out of non-flammable materials. ". The 900mm is there as a way of a fire break between buildings should one of them become aflame. When you go less than that you may be required to increase the fire resistance of your house.

Stewie

My house is already cladded using masterwall. No bricks
Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum