Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Where to find tradies for owner building

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
We are at the first phase of planning and getting quotes to estimate the cost of owner building. We thought that we know many tradies and it would be easy but now that we are planning, there are lots of different jobs. I wished to hear your experience of being an owner builder. How did you plan, get quotes and found tradies and best place to go and buy for kitchen, bricks, roof, bathrooms, etc. Is it a good idea to hire tradies from websites such as serviceseeking.com.au or air tasker? Did you search online and looked at reviews or you went to stores? Is it better to shop from stores and use their own tradies for the job?
We are building in west Sydney, so any recommendation on retail or wholesale places is much appreciated.
We had an online research and had an estimation of the cost. I got a bit worried as the cost seems getting too high almost same as what we quoted from a builder!
Ps. We have done the floor plan design by the architect.
Lilymel
Hi all,
We are at the first phase of planning and getting quotes to estimate the cost of owner building. We thought that we know many tradies and it would be easy but now that we are planning, there are lots of different jobs. I wished to hear your experience of being an owner builder. How did you plan, get quotes and found tradies and best place to go and buy for kitchen, bricks, roof, bathrooms, etc. Is it a good idea to hire tradies from websites such as serviceseeking.com.au or air tasker? Did you search online and looked at reviews or you went to stores? Is it better to shop from stores and use their own tradies for the job?
We are building in west Sydney, so any recommendation on retail or wholesale places is much appreciated.
We had an online research and had an estimation of the cost. I got a bit worried as the cost seems getting too high almost same as what we quoted from a builder!
Ps. We have done the floor plan design by the architect.

Hi Lilymel
Good tradies are always in demand and seriously they aren't on air tasker
As a Site Engineer I find good tradesman on building sites, I inspect their work and ask for their details and pass them on
They also reciprocate and pass my details on to others and so on ...
As for the online estimating algorithms they are way off the mark and best ignored, unless you want to get spammed
Alternatively, set up a new Gmail account for your build and use that
I m surprised your architect is unable to assist you, I guess if they don't visit building sites then they might not be able to refer trades on?
Generally When the Building Industry comes off the boil, The worse tradesman are the first to leave and good riddance
Hi StructuralBIMGuy,

Thank you for your tips. Very good idea to go on sites. The architect told us he can help with engineers, basix and CDC. I didn’t know I can ask him about tradies quotes or budgeting. What sort of assist can I ask architect for? Should he provide a budget estimation or total areas for painting, bricks those sort of things?
Once you find a good tradie, he will know others.
Lilymel
Hi StructuralBIMGuy,
What sort of assist can I ask architect for? Should he provide a budget estimation or total areas for painting, bricks those sort of things?

It depends on what 3D Bim software s/he uses...But generally not much if they are not using collaborative Software, data and proofs, as their own Bim software tends to focus more on the presentation side of things (ie Image rendering, visuals, facades, etc) and not on Engineering & Construction Data
OT, IMO This is a major problem within the industry, lack of data communications. hth
Related
3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum