Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Double top plate on top on interior wall frames

Page 1 of 1
Hi all. Just have a question regarding the double top plate on interior walls.

I’ve installed my house frames a few days ago, both external and internal. Yesterday I added the double top plate but I’ve also added it to the interior walls as it ties them all in nicely and gives them that extra sturdiness after I straightened them all up.

On review I’m wondering if the double top plate on internals is over kill and will it pose any issues where my trusses intersect with the interior walls when I install them? I have to install ceiling battons for plasterboard as well but was going to simply join them to the ends of the 2nd top plate.

Question is should the double top plate on interior walls be removed or is it ok how I have done it.

Thanks guys...
AFAIK all truss systems are designed to sag. The designer would specify which walls are load bearing and which walls are partition walls. You could just use 45mm top plates on load bearing walls and 35mm plates on partition walls, but when you tie the partitions to the trusses they should stiffen up anyway without the extra top plate. Talk to your frame provider.
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

23/01/2024
Interior stone wall DIY

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi Would love some advice on a DIY project I've dived into that's now keeping me up at night. We've got a cool 1970's Mid Century style house here in NZ and have always…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum