Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Building an extension VIC

Page 1 of 1
Hey people,

I am at the early stages of looking at building an extension on my current home. It’s a Californian Bungalow and will only be one level and at the back.

My question is, my brother is a builder who is based in the UK. I want him to do the work, I want him for a few reasons, one because I know him and it will be nice to have him live with me for a few weeks. But also the massive saving of not having to pay him to do the work. I will only have to buy the materials.

Is this possible? If so how would I go about it?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.
I'm only in the early stages and will hopefully apply for a building permit in the next few weeks. But from what I've learned so far if you want to go Owner Builder then you cant allocate all the work to one person like your brother. It may be more straightforward to employ him as a labourer and pay as you go (or not even employ him if he's doing it for free). But if your brother can do the work, and has a building licence, then it may be easier to just get him do it without going down the owner builder path. The cost will be about the same.
You can allocate it all to one person if you want as an owner builder, but they must be licensed to do the work that requires a licence, plumbing, gas fitting and electrical. Most carpenter type construction does not require a licence. When you apply for a construction certificate whatever you specify must be constructed to the letter.
Related
23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum