Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Timber posts?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, I am about to start and house extension and will be doubling the size of the house (it's a small house). Part of the extension will be on a subfloor with concrete posts and the other part will be on a paving slab with timber posts.

So we are adding a master br, ensuite, wir, laundry all will be on the subfloor with concrete posts, the other part will be the garage and workshop, The frame for this part of the build will be on timber posts, and then a paving slab will be poured once the footings and posts are finished.

All footings for the house extension will be a min of 150mm x 350mm, filled with concrete and then concrete/timber posts mounted.

I have questioned the engineer about the timber posts and he assures me this o.k. and what builders do! I asked if I could use concrete posts and he said the concrete slab design would have to be engineered therefore more expensive.

My concern is the life span and is this normal practice?

It is probably a 5 minute effort to engineer a concrete post design, they are all pretty standard.
But it will require formwork/lining, steelwork, pump, concrete, etc.
Overall it will be much more expensive comparable to timber.
Thanks that makes a lot of sense, I thought that was the reason, I did ask for as cheap as possible, but not knowing the timber stumps would have to be used.
alexp79
It is probably a 5 minute effort to engineer a concrete post design, they are all pretty standard.
Don't See why you need steel, pump etc, just use pre fab concrete stumps in lieu of timber.

JB1
alexp79

Don't See why you need steel, pump etc, just use pre fab concrete stumps in lieu of timber.

Crane, waterproofing, concrete cutting? Also, starter bars should be chemi-achored into the footings too.
Also, engineering needs to be checked.
"OK lads, Let's pop down the green shed and pick up a bit 'o treated pine for the job."

Is there a Hazard Zone rating for the timber somewhere in the specs?
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum