Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Relocating home grounding rod / earth rod

Page 1 of 1
Hey, So basically i want to relocate the grounding rod for my home and i really don't want to shell out like $500 to an electrician to do something i know i can do with my eyes shut.

My home is around 100 years old an inter-war period home, it has a very tiny entrance with steps leading right down to the street, this means that over the years all the services have been poorly shoved in the tiny entrance of the house. Including the grounding rod which is in a small planter box next to the stairs at the entrance with a big ugly pvc pipe running across the porch and up the wall containing the wire for the rod.

Basically i want to pull out the rod from the entrance of the house and run it from the breaker to under the floor and into the ground under the house somewhere. So just wondering if there is anything wrong with re-locating the rod to under the house in the centre of a room? instead of having it located pretty much on the street?
There is more than enough length on the wire to do so and about 1.5-1.7m clearance under the house.

I dont believe there is any danger as the wire was originally located in the entrance of the house within arms reach or every person walking past on the street and everyone using the stairs. So as long as i turn off all the power and make sure i do the work on a sunny day with no storms / chance of lightning i should be sweet?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Cheers,
Davo.
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum