Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Load bearing wall removal / Owner Builder options

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys, looking at doing some renos to our new place.

It looks like a lot of it revolves around removing load bearing walls. I thought I'd jump on here and get some advise on the best way to start the process, least expensive way should it not work out.

From what I can gather I need building permits, engineering drawings and a building surveyor to sign it off at stages.

I AM hoping to get as much work done myself. I have a few carpenter friends so I believe the work itself is do able, but i would like to be above board.

Is it possible to do this without bringing on board a registered builder to complete the work? And where do I begin? The house is old, there are no plans available. Does this add an additional hurdle to the job? (Do new plans need to be created?) Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get as much info as possible. I've attached a quick mock up of before and after.

The main walls of concern are the ones in the lower section. Ideally I'd also like to knock out that kink in the external wall and also make larger sliding doors. The house is on stumps, had a look underneath and they all look concrete / possibly some steel ones.

The place is out of level so I'll be getting someone in to fix that up. Finally - any ideas on prices I could expect at any point in this project? Located in Geelong..

Am tossing up wether it's worth registering as an OB, still weighing up options and pros & cons.

M575
Thanks for the sketch, Unfortunately the existing Roof Structural engineering Details & Photos are missing
Called into my local Hardware store to pick up some Pryda brackets where I was happy to assist/provide Engineering Bim Details, info & Data to the shoppers.

You will need to provide more info,
M575
Thanks for the sketch, Unfortunately the existing Roof Structural engineering Details & Photos are missing
OT...Called into my local Hardware store to pick up some Pryda brackets where I was happy to assist/provide Engineering Bim Details, info & Data to the shoppers.

You will need to provide more info,
Cheers
Chris
Correct, there are no drawings available. That’s one of the steps I need to do. I’ve reached out to some structural engineers and a builder to get an idea of things.
Related
20/01/2024
Roof Load Width Needed

Renovation + Home Improvement

Any structural alteration to your home requires building permit. Before you get it you will have to supply plans with structural assessment, you will also be removing…

16/07/2023
Options for Retaining Wall Sloping Hill

Landscape & Garden Design

Howdy all. I am looking for feedback on what people would do to maximise and make an area as flat as possible. First, out the front of the house is a sloping hill, pretty…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum