Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Does the designer involved much the building work after the

Page 1 of 1
Hi
My husband is going to be the owner builder for our extension (190 sqm, kitchen, bedrooms, toilets etc)
We are going to hire the subcontractors to do the concreting, framing, roofing etc for us.
Just wondering does the subcontractors need much advice from the designer (who design our extension) or they can perform the job by just looking at the plan?
How hard does the owner deal with the building surveyor without the designer?

Thanks
Hi Karen5784
You will need to check with your Local Council first
generally you will require Plannings and Building Applications and documentation
Designers generally deal with Planning but not Engineering
Alternatively, find an engineer that also does the initial Planning/designs
If it's Designed & Engineered in 3D then ask for quantities, etc
as it will greatly assist you in the owner Build process
Structural Certification hierarchy generally goes (First) Engineer (Compliance & Non Compliance )->Building Surveyor (Compliance only) ->Designer ( can't Certify)
Please check my uploaded Images to Homeone for 3D Bim Design
Related
2/09/2023
Architect vs designer vs builder

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your build is relatively simple, I believe your job can be easily done by a good building designer, you really do not need to pay for the architect. Remember, architect's…

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum