Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Site set out on home extension-Melbourne

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone
We are going to build an extension (about 190 sqm includes 3 bedrooms and 2 toilets and living room and kitchen).
My husband is going to be the owner builder.

My question is do we need to hire someone to do the site set out for it? Or it is concreter’s job to do it?
If we do need someone, does any one know how much the cost will be approximately?

*we have very limited budget so we have to be very careful on we gonna spent.

Thanks in advance.
Hi karen5784
The concrete contractor will set out the site and you will need to check it
I recommend you Have
1. Full set of plans , Engineering Details, Specifications,
3D BIM (Building Information Model), Data and Costs
2. Use the BIM model to order materials, sequence (project manage tasks on site), coordinate the work/trades, do inspections, check engineering, etc,etc
3. Access Expert Trusted advice (Design, Engineering,Construction, Your Own Virtual Reality Project BIM Model) over the internet
If you are looking for that type of assistance then please leave a private message
Glad To Help
Chris
Thanks Chris! Funny that my designer say he will ask his builder friend to do the site set out for me cost about $500 but I doubted it should be the concreter’s job which we have paid already.
I don’t want to pay double for the same service.
Karen5784
I don't see why you have to pay the designers mate $500 to put a few pegs into the ground?
As I said the concreter generally does that unless it's a boundary wall, in which case you will need a licensed surveyor $500
But I still recommend you run tape measure along their string line.. check it yourself.
The designer should have given you a set out Dimension Plan?
Also why have you paid for the concreting before it's done ...just curious
A big thank you Chis. That’s what i thoughts too. Cheers
karen5784
Hi everyone
We are going to build an extension (about 190 sqm includes 3 bedrooms and 2 toilets and living room and kitchen).
My husband is going to be the owner builder.

My question is do we need to hire someone to do the site set out for it? Or it is concreter’s job to do it?
If we do need someone, does any one know how much the cost will be approximately?

*we have very limited budget so we have to be very careful on we gonna spent.

Thanks in advance.

carpenter is the person for that job , as a carpenter i can say i would never let a concreter set out or build formwork , they have their laser level set to 5mm tolerance and they move the stick til it makes the right beep.

as for the cost its usually around the same as a piece of string
No much bias there. I have found that the concreters that I have engaged to do set out of form are relatively good at what they do. I run around and check with a water level and steel tape and don't find too many issues. I think the key is to get someone to do it and get someone else to check it. Everybody loves to find fault in other people's work.
Related
30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum