Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Owner-builder Course

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm a new owner-builder looking for a suitable online owner-builder course to meet NSW requirements.

Could anyone recommend a really comprehensive owner-builder course they've completed, particularly one that might give access to the required ASA documents?

Thanks in advance.
What is ASA? If you are referring to the Ausitralian standards, then you will be hard pressed to find any that will hand out that information. Its not really required, well wasn't when I did my course, and considering there are hundreds that are used...
What are you hoping to get from an owner builder course?

The BCA is free free free.
Thanks Manofaus.

All I want from the course is to meet government requirements so that I can get permission to owner-build my house.

P.S. Love that word "free".
I've never heard of such a course and you don't need any qualifications to owner build.
lackey
I've never heard of such a course and you don't need any qualifications to owner build.

Most (all?) states have a mandatory owner-builder education requirement before an owner-builder permit can be issued. For example, in NSW the specific requirements are that the owner-builder have successfully undergone training in a course that includes (at a minimum) the following registered units of competency:

Owner-builder courses are offered by a number of providers, including online training providers, to meet the regulatory requirements of each state. They definitely do exist, and training is definitely required in NSW (the OP's case).
algernon
lackey

Most (all?) states have a mandatory owner-builder education requirement before an owner-builder permit can be issued. For example, in NSW the specific requirements are that the owner-builder have successfully undergone training in a course that includes (at a minimum) the following registered units of competency:

• CPCCOHS2001A Apply OHS, requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
  • CPCCCM2001A Read and interpret plans and specification
  • CPCCCM1011A Undertake basic estimation and costing
  • CPCCCM1013A Plan and organise work
  • CPCCCM1014A Conduct workplace communication

Owner-builder courses are offered by a number of providers, including online training providers, to meet the regulatory requirements of each state. They definitely do exist, and training is definitely required in NSW (the OP's case).

You don't need to do any course, you just need a permit. Can you show me where it states you need to be trained to be an owner builder on that website?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/T ... ilder.page

BTW have you ever walked into a tafe or did a course at tafe or anywhere else for building because I have.

Too many people on this site talkshit.
lackey
You don't need to do any course, you just need a permit. Can you show me where it states you need to be trained to be an owner builder on that website?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/T ... ilder.page

BTW have you ever walked into a tafe or did a course at tafe or anywhere else for building because I have.

Too many people on this site talkshit.

From about 1/3rd down that exact page you just linked to:

At the end of the paragraph is the link that takes you to the specific page that talks about the training you need to demonstrate:
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tenants_and_home_owners/Home_building_and_renovating/Becoming_an_owner_builder/Owner_builder_approved_education_requirement.page

That educational requirement is a prerequisite for the permit.

And in answer to your other question, yes, and more often than 99% of the population.
A white card a one day "course", if you can call it that because you can't fail and is far from that crap that you posted before.

Dude I did three years at tafe to get my carpenters qualification, a white card isn't a qualification!

They don't give people qualification for owner builders because they don't want people going out and saying they are qualified to build.
lackey
A white card a one day "course", if you can call it that because you can't fail and is far from that crap that you posted before.

Dude I did three years at tafe to get my carpenters qualification, a white card isn't a qualification!

They don't give people qualification for owner builders because they don't want people going out and saying they are qualified to build.

No, not just the white card (which you are correct, is an "impossible to fail" tick-the-box compliance exercise). As an owner-builder, you DO have to have a white card, but you have to ALSO meet the owner-builder education requirement to get an owner-builder permit for work valued at over $20,000. The URL I posted previously (NSW Government Fair Trading) has more info on the detail.

People do get 'qualified' for owner-building, but it's a very basic course that's basically designed to cover only the bare minimum to try and manage a build without killing people - that's why they have all the restrictions around not building again within five years, living in the property, etc., so people don't go around calling themselves 'builders' without doing the 'real' training (not to mention the practical experience).

Of course, you are perfectly correct that it's nowhere near the same level as a trade certificate, or any other substantial qualification. I personally think owner-builders should also have (at a very minimum) the Cert IV in Building and Construction Management, but that's just my personal opinion.

Good trades (with the appropriate qualifications, training and experience) are well worth what they get paid. I agree - your carpentry qual is worth much, much more than the owner-builder course.
Dude don't reply to my post go away, as if I haven't worked with owner builder who had nothing, in fact most people who work in the building industry don't have any qualificatons I know this for a fact!

I've gone for union jobs and been told I have to be the foreman because nobody else working there had qualifications so go away!
[quote="lackey"]Dude don't reply to my post go away, as if I haven't worked with owner builder who had nothing, in fact most people who work in the building industry don't have any qualificatons I know this for a fact!

I've gone for union jobs and been told I have to be the foreman because nobody else working there had qualifications so go away

Your on a public forum, anyone here can reply, manners are free, so make some sence before you write rubbish.
manofaus
What is ASA? If you are referring to the Ausitralian standards, then you will be hard pressed to find any that will hand out that information. Its not really required, well wasn't when I did my course, and considering there are hundreds that are used...
What are you hoping to get from an owner builder course?

The BCA is free free free.

What does BCA stand for here? Building code of Australia???
Yes.

The BCA is parts 1 & 2 of the 3 Part National Construction Code (NCC) which is free to download.
Related
14/06/2023
Brick movement above damp proof course

General Discussion

Have look at your house plans and you will probably find that brick articulation joint has been missed. Maximum allowable spacing is 6M or 5.5M for a wall with window…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum