Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Slab and formwork cost

Page 1 of 2
I'm an owner builder and just poured my slab. Got my invoice from the formworker and the slab has cost me around $280/m2! My block is flat with easy access. Just wondering how much everyone else's slab has cost them?
Do you mean m3?
I'm not sure how to work out the m3.

I worked out the m2 by $slab divided by floor area.
You got done like a dinner.
Oh great.

Whats the acceptable cost of formwork and raft slab including cost of concrete? My blocks approx 200m2.
You're telling us your slab cost $56K? Keep in mind the amount of cement mix in each sq m of slab area is only about $20.

As to your question., read this.
The link to that post is from 2009, I don't think its relevant to costs today.
iwannahouse
The link to that post is from 2009, I don't think its relevant to costs today.

It is still a good guide, keep in mind wages growth has been stagnant for a long time and cement is still the same price. ($200 cu m). Reo and mesh likewise. Add 10% if you like. Economic indicators are that housing has slowed right down, expect rates to fall as the recession looms closer.
iwantanewhouse
You need to provide more info ie Slab size. Type of soil ,engineering details, single or double storey,etc,etc...,.
what is probably worse than being RIPPED OFF is having a $#!t job that becomes apparent outside of the warranty & Structural periods.
If you're an owner builder it's definitely beneficial to pay a bit extra for Architectural,Engineering & Construction (AEC) details/data in a format that you can easily understand & check..then get 3 quotes.Unfortunately it's a bit late for Data & Quant comparisons now
If anyone else requires Data comparisons for Slabs & Footing info leave a PM
It is far better to make informed decisions before you sign agreements/contracts
StructuralBIMGuy
@iwantanewhouse
You need to provide more info ie Slab size. Type of soil ,engineering details, single or double storey,etc,etc...,.
what is probably worse than being RIPPED OFF is having a $#!t job that becomes apparent outside of the warranty & Structural periods.
If you're an owner builder it's definitely beneficial to pay a bit extra for Architectural,Engineering & Construction (AEC) details/data in a format that you can easily understand & check..then get 3 quotes.Unfortunately it's a bit late for Data & Quant comparisons now
It is far better to make informed decisions before you sign agreements/contracts

We have just decided to go with owner builder and have our plans being drawn up by a draftsman know. There was a soil test about 6years ago complete with the results being P class slab required. Do we need the slab to be engineered, or as owner builders is it recommended regardless?
Isitbuiltyet
StructuralBIMGuy
@iwantanewhouse

We have just decided to go with owner builder and have our plans being drawn up by a draftsman know. There was a soil test about 6years ago complete with the results being P class slab required. Do we need the slab to be engineered, or as owner builders is it recommended regardless?

Sorry P class site, not slab
Isitbuiltyet
You only need a 2D->3D sketch..don't waste too much money on a full blown design and approvals at this early stage in case your plans change, if they do then usually you are up for more additional Costs
Engineering is very important as is the Material Data,Quantities, Project Planning & construction options
3D BIM Engineering allows you to take control & understand what's involved at all stages of the project

Also a Contour Survey (if your block is sloping or difficult) so you can determine Levels & retaining
This is Class A Footing & Retaining...BTW it is much easier to upgrade to Class M and to explore options & Costs at this early modelling stage than at Post Contract Stages HTH
StructuralBIMGuy
@Isitbuiltyet
You only need a 2D->3D sketch..don't waste too much money on a full blown design and approvals at this early stage in case your plans change, if they do then usually you are up for more additional Costs
Engineering is very important as is the Material Data,Quantities, Project Planning & construction options
3D BIM Engineering allows you to take control & understand what's involved at all stages of the project

Also a Contour Survey (if your block is sloping or difficult) so you can determine Levels & retaining
This is Class A Footing & Retaining...BTW it is much easier to upgrade to Class M and to explore options & Costs at this early modelling stage than at Post Contract Stages HTH

Awesome thank you. Yes, we have a contour survey. So we are thinking apply for DA through council, then once that is approved have an engineer complete the detailed spec, and if council require that, we can submit with our CC application. Does that sounds correct? What costs are we looking at for 3D BIM Engineerig?
isitbuiltyet You are welcome.
On simple builds DA only requires Site Plan, Floor Plan & Elevations
50% of Architects, designers & Builders use 3D Architectural BIM Software mainly for Renderings & Presentations a fraction of those use Structural BIM, The cost will depend on what software your designer users and file translations type?
Structural BIM is also used during the construction & inspection Stages.... Rendering & Presentation BIM is not
Please start your own thread e.g. Second Storey Addition
This thread is for Footings, Slab & Formwork Costs which is a major issue for New homeowners & OBs
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
@isitbuiltyet You are welcome.
On simple builds DA only requires Site Plan, Floor Plan & Elevations
50% of Architects, designers & Builders use 3D Architectural BIM Software mainly for Renderings & Presentations a fraction of those use Structural BIM, The cost will depend on what software your designer users and file translations type?
Structural BIM is also used during the construction & inspection Stages.... Rendering & Presentation BIM is not
Please start your own thread e.g. Second Storey Addition
This thread is for Footings, Slab & Formwork Costs which is a major issue for New homeowners & OBs
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for your reply. Yes, will do
Clarity Estimating
Normally a waffle pod slab should be roughly 110-130/m2. hence, you should've only paid roughly 25k for it, even if its a full upgraded 32mpa, h2 class slab with approx 1m piering.

@"Clarity Estimating",

What about cost of (standard) 100 mm SL82 M-class raffle slab those days (in Sydney)? Will be helpful if can you break down total cost into labour, formwork, cement.

Also, could be helpful if you could provide cost breakdown for the following jobs:

1) strip footings - steel fixing labour, concrete pour, vibration labour
2) escavation - cut and fill per hour
3) Dincel installation - labour, cost of Dincel material
4) concrete staircases - formwork and steel fixing cost (per sqm?), concrete pour and finish

Thanks in advance
alexp79
I suggest you put up a BIM Model link (as per my eg, above)
keep the format simple, set up a G+ account, ie G+ data hth
StructuralBIMGuy
@alexp79
I suggest you put up a BIM Model (as per my eg, above)

Hi Chris, will email you my engineering
alexp79
StructuralBIMGuy
@alexp79
I suggest you put up a BIM Model (as per my eg, above)

Hi Chris, will email you my engineering

You can better control your build on Google Communities and add members (Suppliers,Trades,etc) + processes + Data + Proofs + Automation ,etc,etc...cheers
Thanks, Clarity Estimating.

SL82 pricing seems to be off chart, it can be bought for around $6.5 per sqm in retail from what I see here:

https://buybuildingsupplies.com.au/sl82 ... -2068.html

For raft slab I don't need pods?
Related
12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

12/10/2023
Building cost and builder in Melbourne

Building A New House

custom probably not. Volume, most defiantly, but spec would vary. If youre doing a knock down, there additional costs associated with that that will eat into your budget…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum