Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Concrete Raft Slab Melbourne

Page 1 of 1
We have started our owner build in Gisborne South in Victoria and are having a very difficult time finding anyone to do our raft slab. We are either getting people coming back saying they are too busy, or others that are inflating their quotes.

We had one very experienced guy who unfortunately isn't well at the moment or else we'd use him in a heartbeat. He let us know what we should be paying, but those that are quoting are at least 25% higher than him. He said that there's so much work on at the moment that people will put outrageous quotes out there to see if anyone bites.

Does anyone have a slab person they could recommend that doesn't try to rip you off?
It also depends on the size, how complicated the pour is,engineering species, etc,etc
Being ripped off is one thing getting a lousy job would be my main concern.
BTW you will find most tradies will inflated jobs by the builders (25%-50%) margin for owners builders
Unfortunately, there is really little savings unless you choose to do some of the work yourself
Goodluck
I could not get any quotes for my house slab and I lack the strength, skills and equipment to do it all myself so I contracted the various parts out.
I got a neighbour to cut the site & construct the access track using his dozer, based on an agreed hourly rate. He also carted road base using his truck, again at an hourly rate plus the cost of the quarry materials.
I got someone else to prepare and compact the slab base, this time at an agreed price.
I set the slab out and then I got a local builder to excavate the trenches at an agreed hourly rate. I was on hand to manually clean the trenches out.
I got someone else to place the reo etc and then got a team together to pour the slab based on a fixed price for labour whilst I paid for the materials .including the concrete.
I hired and paid for the concrete pump directly.
I also got a local plumber to install waste pipes and I arranged for a pest control company to carry out termite treatment.
I summary whilst I could not get a price from a single contractor to organise and construct the slab, I was able to subcontract out most of the work, managed the process and took the overall responsibility and risk.
Hi Beetaloo, how do you reckon you went with the costing?

The most important work you can do is your structured homework,learn from experts, avoid costly mistakes beforehand, etc,etc
Start with the Design Engineering, Data, Quants, Labour rates, factors, simulations, proofs, certification,compliance
and use online apps to automate decisions & make informed decisions.. leave a message if interested
Actual costs were more than I had hoped for (about double). I did not get discounts on quarry products or concrete. I also had not factored in excess delivery charges for the concrete (as there were no local batching plants nearby).
I also had under estimated the quantities of quarry products and concrete that I actually needed especially the amount of road base required to construct all weather truck access and turn around areas before I could start any building work on site.
I also had the cost to repair the access tracks at the end of the build.
While I can't offer anything in the way of advise, It's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone in obtaining no, or inflated quotes..
Related
12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

15/12/2023
New Concrete Slab extended exposure duration

Building A New House

yep, clearly mark where the infloor heating pipes are before drilling or nailing

13/03/2024
Concrete slab

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

is this for a residential dwelling or a shed? If its for a dwelling, its out of tolerance and a "mistakes happen" isnt a good enough excuse to just move on.

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum