Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

First time owner builder

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, this is the first time on this or any other forum.
We, that is my wife and I, are going to do a knock down rebuild in Belrose NSW as an owner builder. As I said to my wife "it will be either our greatest adventure or my greatest failure!
"I'm the one that wants to do it and it took some convincing to get her approval.
I don't expect to make a huge saving on the total build cost but that will be nice if it happens. I see this as more of an adventure....most see it as my first sign of dementia

I guess the main reason I joined was to be part of a group of like minded people where ideas and knowledge can be exchanged and discussed.
I'm 61, work about 3 days a month plus some time for prep, so I have the time and I hope enough knowledge to bring this build to fruition.
Aim is to build in 12 months or less, build to budget with no or few changes and still be married at the end of it

I designed the house using a program call Chief Architect Home designer, it's the basic form of the program but great for getting your design right. I'm sure there must be many others like it available.You can add furniture and the like to get a good idea of how much room you need, 3Ds, walkthroughs. I then engaged an architectural draftsman to do the plans from it for council. My final changes are ready for the architectural draftsman to do, then to engage the engineer for on-site water detention and construction design where needed.
I've done my BASIX and nearly all my statement of environmental effect plus still to get an accurate costing of what I want to do.
We had a Pre-lodgement meeting with council, cost money but well worth it as you are pretty much told what you can do and need to do to get your DA passed. I think it's a lot easier to work with council rather than fight them. So far they have been very helpful.
What I would like to hear from others who have walked down this path before, is what advice you have for newbees?
General overview of what we are building.
It has been designed with the idea of being able to grow old in it. Low maintenance with face brick, aluminium windows (double glazed) and not too much garden. It's an easy walk to a new shopping center plus handy to the new Northern Beaches hospital.All of our living on the ground floor. B/V and metal roof, 4 bedroom, 2 story dwelling. There will be 2 bedrooms up and 2 down. About 30 squares including the double garage.
My fears are:
* Cost over run
* Getting tradies that are available because they are the ones no one else wants. I've been going to building sites in the area to get contact details of trades that are on the site.
* Getting the trades to turn up when they have promised.
* Trying to do too much of it myself and slowing the progress. I intend to project manage the bulk of it and do things like hang the doors, skirting and architraves, build the staircase, paint and keep the site clean.
* Getting materials at the right price.
I'm looking forward and grateful for any advise
Thanks, Bruce
Keep thinking it will be your greatest adventure... not that other thing you said.

Keep researching the tradies, as you can still even get the good ones if you make allowances to let them do it in 'dribs and drabs', i.e. fitting you in between their regular work.

The only tradie that let me down was the roofing guy... still not happy with his work or ethics. All the others did good work

You need to remember that you are only a one-off job for the good tradies, who rely on their ongoing work from the project builders, so many won't be able to do work for you.

If you are not far from a development where others on this forum have had project builders, building for them, you can ask what they found with their builders... how their new home was built and any issues.... go to the building sites and ask if the tradies worked on those other homes.
Hi S4K
Welcome to the forum
As an Engineer, Data & Building Information (BIM) is paramount to making informed decisions.
BTW.. I haven't used Chief in over 20 years then it was way ahead of the times & now (sadly) way behing modelling in current technology, most use free Sketchup (+15 milion users worldwide).
Unfortunately both modelling programs lack engineering data, specific code and Australian Standards compliance..but not to worry... you'll need to get it certified anyway
I'll take a quick look at the model & contour survey if you put it up..coincidentally, I've just completed the engineering/design and a spreadsheet for storm water retention, eventually I'll put it up on google+ apps cheers
bpratt
Keep thinking it will be your greatest adventure... not that other thing you said.

Keep researching the tradies, as you can still even get the good ones if you make allowances to let them do it in 'dribs and drabs', i.e. fitting you in between their regular work.

The only tradie that let me down was the roofing guy... still not happy with his work or ethics. All the others did good work

You need to remember that you are only a one-off job for the good tradies, who rely on their ongoing work from the project builders, so many won't be able to do work for you.

If you are not far from a development where others on this forum have had project builders, building for them, you can ask what they found with their builders... how their new home was built and any issues.... go to the building sites and ask if the tradies worked on those other homes.

Hi Bpratt,
I think your advise about dribs and drabs is accurate and expect this in the build, I'm only hoping that it doesn't extend the time line too much.
There are 2 project homes going up within walking distance of my place that I'm watching and asking trades if they would be interested in my build
Thanks for your response.
StructuralBIMGuy
Hi S4K
Welcome to the forum
As an Engineer, Data & Building Information (BIM) is paramount to making informed decisions.
BTW.. I haven't used Chief in over 20 years then it was way ahead of the times & now (sadly) way behing modelling in current technology, most use free Sketchup (+15 milion users worldwide).
Unfortunately both modelling programs lack engineering data, specific code and Australian Standards compliance..but not to worry... you'll need to get it certified anyway
I'll take a quick look at the model & contour survey if you put it up..coincidentally, I've just completed the engineering/design and a spreadsheet for storm water retention, eventually I'll put it up on google+ apps cheers

Hello SBG
I have been designing and thinking about this build for about 3 years and finally in a postion to proceed.I did try sketchup way back but went with "home designer suite" from chief architect as it had the best wrap on the reviews I read. Having said that it appears to be a bit Buggy on my computer. As I was never going to try to do the engineering, as I would have to have it done anyway, I found it adequate.
I'm not sure how to add a file other than the "Img" button, still finding my way around the program.
Thanks, Bruce
Thanks very much for the offer. This is the survey with the existing househttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57d45182785d5/Survey%203%20Coora%20Dec%202014.pdf

and these are the preliminary plans. We are going to keep the existing garage as a workshop. I have to chop the driveway in-line with the rear of the new house to get the 40% open space required.
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57d4529bd07df/868%20preliminary%2029oct2015.pdf
I hope the link works!

Hi
Thanks for the details... but for others, those that wish to upload
Please remove your name, sensitive info/details, site address,etc,etc
Unless you are happy to share it with the world, spammers,potentual litigants, etc,etc..get the gist
Thanks
Hi Bruce
Soil Report?
Assuming you are on clay?
I've put up storm water drainage/storage and protective footing anti-heave details
on my G+ community
Do you have the CA model and are you able to extract BIM Data?
Thanks for sharing
Hi SBG, it's actually on sandy loam and only about .8 to 1mtr before you hit rock. No floaters, I've lived there 30 years and always the same depth no matter where I've dug. At work now, and will get C A details when I'm home. I will check out your post then. Thanks again, Bruce

Bruce here are three links well worth reading...

Things you forget - summary page 32
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5823

What is needed to lodge a DA ( in NSW any way )
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75671&p=1298206#p1298206

http://www.anewhouse.com.au/

Stewie
Thanks Stewie, I've bookmarked anewhouse and will have a proper look tomorrow. I've done my basix and I'm going to get my "drafty" to check it out along with my SEE report. I've been thinking and planning this for a long time but there is always something that you miss and I expect this to be the case. I've tweaked the final changes and looking forward to submitting the DA, we are hoping to be ready to start at the beginning of 2017. Fingers crossed and thanks so much for your input.

Searching4 knowledge
Hi SBG, it's actually on sandy loam and only about .8 to 1mtr before you hit rock. No floaters, I've lived there 30 years and always the same depth no matter where I've dug. At work now, and will get C A details when I'm home. I will check out your post then. Thanks again, Bruce

Hi S4K
Sandy loam could possibly be Class S 2-Story engineering details..I don't think they are up on the community as yet
The community is geared towards other designers, engineers and the software developers
Sophisticate engineering cad and pdf views can be difficult at best to understand but hopefully new advancements in VR technology will help OBs
OT... CA is way behind the industry leaders... Sample Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg64sJOdTlI
Hello again SBG.
C/A is, for me, just a method of getting my design ideas down and for others to do the technical. You previously mentioned Sketchup, I have downloaded the program and I'm playing with it....I find that it can take a while to get your head around a new program which all takes time, I'm not a tech head I just plod along till I learn enough to do what I need to do.
One thing you might be able to give me advise on. Assuming that we are on solid rock, I was told that it is cheaper to dig a trench down to rock and brick up to slab level rather than pour a concrete footing. I assume materials would be cheaper but labour would be greater. Any ideas?
Thanks, Bruce
Hi Bruce
Best to wait for geotech report as you may have sufficient bearing... other options include
1. Excavate soil & place load bearing sand pad and lessen concrete in footing design
2. Small piles at 1.50m ctrs bearing on rock
3. Strip concrete beam/wall bearing on rock
4. Strip Cavity concrete filed brick wall bearing on rock
The big costs are plant ie pumps, machine/augers, backhoes, formwork, cranes, etc
Thanks SBG, I will keep it all in mind. Cheers, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Like StructuralBIMGuy mentioned would be best to engage a GeoTech. Based on what the GeoTech uncovers, your Structural Eng would be in the best position to make comment.
Thanks N*31. I will definitely be relying on the engineers to advise and design the best option. It's with them now, primarily to do the OSD. I've raised the house 400mm so that I don't have to start cutting into rock. It will also bring the levels closer to that of the drive. I've done soundings around the existing house and it's mostly 800ish mm to rock in sandy soil. I guess I was looking for opinions so that if I'm given options of what to do, I have some ideas. Thanks again, Bruce

Great job Bruce! Only if we're in UK. There is this reliable firm MJ Owner Build who provides self build kits since many people love to project manage their own home build similar to most of us in AU. There are awesome engineers who can help you accomplish your dream house. Give us the good news when your house is finally built.

Cheers!
buildX
Hi Bruce, nice story and how is it unfolding? Where are you up to? Have the plan approved by council yet? How about those structural and hydraulic engineering going? Looking forward to your journey.
Cheers
civarow
Hi Civarow, it being a long road. I think about not much else but "the build". Final changes are being done this week, engineering and hydraulics done. I have to get a quantity surveyor to price it for council (and for myself) and then it's good to go to council. I think it was 2014 that I first started to design it and I'm itching to get it moving. 🤗

Related
6/10/2023
First time building.

General Discussion

Can anyone give me any onfo on New Homes WA? Good or bad, hopefully good just need to know if my choice was good or not? Thanks ❤️

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum