Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

900mm vs 600mm Eaves

Page 1 of 1
We're in the process of getting our construction drawings completed by our architect but are trying to decide on 900mm or 600mm eaves. We are going to be building in Gisborne South, Vic. We understand the principals of passive solar design, but want to make sure the house doesn't look funny in the end.

The house is going to be a long ranch style house with a hipped roof, similar to Metricon's Denver (http://www.metricon.com.au/new-home-des ... MqYyO7A.97).

Can anyone comment, or better yet have pictures, of a hipped roof house having 900mm eaves? I guess our main concern was that the eaves will overhang too much making the roof look like a hat.

Thanks
Google image: 'house with 600mm eaves' and 'house with 300mm eaves' - you'll get lots of pictures to look at!!
Thanks. We've googled this to death, hence the request here. Has anyone else done 900mm eaves on a long ranch style house? If so, any comments/pictures?
I did not use either 900 or 600. I calculated the optimum shading angle for my house to get full sun in winter and full shade in summer. On my house this worked out to 760mm eaves on the north side. I bought 900mm sheets and cut them down to the required width
Really wide eaves - 600mm + in my book can make a house look top heavy. You also increase the total height of the roof which may or may not be a problem depending on your roof slope. For most houses with a 2400 ceiling ht 450mm eaves are enough for passive shading of windows and doors on the sunny sides of a house.
Here's a couple of diagrams in a thread or two re - shading and eave heights.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=78233
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=73404
Don't forget also that with wider eaves your eaves height will be much lower as opposed to a narrow one.

Stewie
Increasing eaves doesn't increase total height of house

600 eaves are ideal for that type of home

Thanks. And when calculating eave sizes are gutters included or added to the overall eave size?

I've just revised some sketchup drawings I did with 600mm eaves and the shading from the north was still ok. Looks like we'll go with 600mm now. Thanks for the advise.

450mm eaves are technically 600 with fascia and gutter. 600 eaves = 750 and so on

Thanks. I think 600 with gutter and fascia will work well then.

@NW01. Some of my post went missing. When I said "You also increase the total height of the roof which may or may not be a problem depending on your roof slope." I had added that this was in relation to the windows if you wanted the eaves to to be a standard height above the tops of the windows. If you want wide eaves and the height of them to be well above the windows then raising the ceiling ht and therefore the roof ( apart from lowering the pitch considerably ) would be your only option. Similar to what I show in this post...
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76864
I didn't check my original post. My mistake.

Stewie
Related
25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum