Page 2 of 4
Follow gandn, also old OB's like Vass. I've learnt loads from them

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75739&p=1299716#p1299716
Vess not Vass sorry

Building4my3tots
Follow gandn, also old OB's like Vass. I've learnt loads from them

Cheers for the compliment B4M3T's. It's nice to pass on learnt knowledge like I've learnt so much from here also.
Hi BBTony. We have just finished our owner build after 19 months! We too have a brick subfloor with an elevated suspended slab. Feel free to check our my posts or PM any questions some of the earlier photos have disappeared from my thread so let me know if there is something you want to see a photo of.

Re Termim3sh. We went with them. They have gone completely overboard with it. It's not cheap, but neither are termites I guess.
The current dwelling is a single storey building.

There's not much plant worth keeping in the garden as they are mostly privets I believe. We have a few trees at the back that we are keeping.

It is a sloping block, around 3m down away from the street.

Will post up engineering plans soon but it's a suspended concrete slabs on piers and footings.

Here is the footings and piers engineering plan.

Can't see the plan. You should try using tapatalk on your mobile. Super easy

Edge39.my-letter-box.com
SteveMc - Just installed that yesterday - don't know full well about the image features on it yet.

I've been trying to find more information about Termite Barrier AS3660.1 - Part A & Part B. What needs to be done for each part etc etc
Thanks mate. The plan looks solid. My only concern would be ventilation in the sub floor. Will the internal strip footings all have full bricked walls? Ie. No openings?
Instead of brick piers, you could use gal posts fixed to the Concrete piers?
Having lived in a house with a similar strip footing and pier structure, water movement and moisture is inevitable. Better to plan for this rather than pray it never happens. I guarantee you will have issues if you don't ventilate.

Edge39.my-letter-box.com
Thanks Steve. What would moisture do to the concrete slab?

I'm thinking about using Kordon for both the termite barrier and their moisture protection.

Anyone heard of reposit?

Quote:
The plan looks solid. My only concern would be ventilation in the sub floor. Will the internal strip footings all have full bricked walls? Ie. No openings?

I would include access hatches/doors into the sub-floor spaces to allow for termite inspections and also to allow future access to drainage in this area.
There's actually a door at the lower ground level - from ground level there's another set of stairs to exit the house for laundry.

bigboytony
Thanks Steve. What would moisture do to the concrete slab?

I'm thinking about using Kordon for both the termite barrier and their moisture protection.

We have kordon at our place

You should have brick vents to the external sub-floor walls at 1200mm centres to allow the area under the house to breathe should moisture under the house occur ( not if but when as SM says above ). Openings in the internal walls under there also promote cross flow ventilation as well. It won't have an adverse effect on the concrete slab but the air will become musty and could eventually find its way inside the house. It also promotes conditions suitable for termites.

Stewie
Suspended floors may also need to be insulated to satisfy the latest energy efficiency requirements of the Building Code of Australia (now the NCC).
Whoever does your Green Star/Basix calculations should be able to advise what insulation is required to get your design across the line.
Could someone explain to me how contracts work for the contractors, mainly the insurance for work that is over $20,000?

Thanks
Basically if anyone does work for you over the value of $20,000 they have to provide a certificate of insurance for that kind of work ( material and labour ), similar to HOW. That premium is added to their contract which you basically pay.
https://www.google.com.au/url?q=http:// ... YUhXnHl4eA
It makes it a bit of a sh1t fight because of the dramas contractors have to go through to do the paperwork and a lot of them will tell you they won't do it.

Stewie
Stewie D
Basically if anyone does work for you over the value of $20,000 they have to provide a certificate of insurance for that kind of work ( material and labour ), similar to HOW. That premium is added to their contract which you basically pay.
https://www.google.com.au/url?q=http:// ... YUhXnHl4eA
It makes it a bit of a sh1t fight because of the dramas contractors have to go through to do the paperwork and a lot of them will tell you they won't do it.

Stewie

They are also very sne@ky at getting round it. Example keeping the quote just under the $20K or doing it as 2 seperate jobs.
Thanks Stewie & gandn.

My demolition is in 9 days - I'm both excited and nervous about it.

I don't have anyone locked in yet for the excavation or concrete slab yet which worries me as I still want to get one more quote.
Related
1/05/2023
preliminary agreement deposit limit in NSW

Building A New House

In NSW the maximum deposit for building work is 5% until the builder provides HBCF insurance

30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum