Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB in SA

Page 3 of 52
A few pictures of the progress and my partner and his dad's hard work this week.

The cinema room and ensuite too.

Study/home office (love it!). It's hard to capture in photo but they sort of glisten depending on the light, they're metallic looking sort of bricks.

Bailey sunbathing haha. (Partner bro's dog) while the humans are hard at work.

Wow they're doing a great job!
Bet Bailey is dreaming of the silly working humans haha. Nice feature wall in your study.

TraceyWayne
Wow they're doing a great job!
Bet Bailey is dreaming of the silly working humans haha. Nice feature wall in your study.

They are Tracey! Haha, lucky Bailey. You moving interstate once your house is finished or before even?

Some more pics. My OH doesn't like sending me pics. He wants me to come up on the Friday and be surprised at what's new. I am shocking with surprises though. I like to know/see straight away. Haha!

The home theatre inside walls and one outside wall done:

The ensuite both inside and outside walls done:

The back bedroom window is now up:

The 3-way bathroom:

The back entrance door is up too!: (Excuse about the really dirty doors! These were the doors from a job and have been sitting in the shed for a while)

The windows of the home theatre and the entrance to the house via the laundry - the door is now up as well. Yay!

The side entrance of the property. We do have a garage already but we are allowed to put a carport beside it as well.

We sound very alike, I have no patience either, I would want to see the pictures asap too! Your house is going great guns and you get to see it in person! So jealous haha. The rooms look to be all good sizes, wait til plaster goes up, now that's great!
Yes will be moving when house is finished or thereabouts.

Loved reading your thread with my Mr. Very impressed and happy for you. What a great adventure

Where did you get your floor plan? Did you base it on something you saw or start from scratch. My Mr's eyes were sparkling as I read out every one of your posts. I could tell he wishes it was him. Oh hello ... He keeps coming back in the room now with comments about building yourself and what you're doing

We both love this comment: "$100 for the job, $200 if you want to watch and $500 if you want to help". And Bailey of course!
TraceyWayne
We sound very alike, I have no patience either, I would want to see the pictures asap too! Your house is going great guns and you get to see it in person! So jealous haha. The rooms look to be all good sizes, wait til plaster goes up, now that's great!
Yes will be moving when house is finished or thereabouts.

I know! But will probably be a while before we get there. I look forward to seeing how you decorate your home.

TomCat
Loved reading your thread with my Mr. Very impressed and happy for you. What a great adventure

Where did you get your floor plan? Did you base it on something you saw or start from scratch. My Mr's eyes were sparkling as I read out every one of your posts. I could tell he wishes it was him. Oh hello ... He keeps coming back in the room now with comments about building yourself and what you're doing

We both love this comment: "$100 for the job, $200 if you want to watch and $500 if you want to help". And Bailey of course!

Hi TC! Goodluck for today! Will drop by later to your thread to see how the meeting went. Hope you get some good news.

Mr. TC has already done heaps in your home! You must have saved a lot already.

Our plan was from scratch and my partner’s idea. He then handed his drawing to a local draftsman to draw it up for us for Council requirements (ie council knows him so we thought it will be easier to get approval that way, for engineering requirements etc). It is a simple plan but it works. First thing that we did not want is to have a really long narrow passageway. I wanted to have a formal lounge to receive people but we opted to have a home theatre instead. There was a thing about our roof though. My partner wanted to have this angled roof and that is what we were going to do. The draftsman drew two roofs – angled and traditional. He was saying that the angled roof will be more complex when it comes to heating/cooling among other things and maybe some other structural consideration. When we saw the traditional roof drawing, we thought, “Oh that looks better.” I personally do not like the angled roof anyway.

Here was the drawing with the angle roof:

Today's progress. Inside walls to the main bedroom are done - corners around the door have been fiddly work.

We owe a lot to this man (he's there at 7:30am everyday):

The joys and pains of building your own home. It's hard to see the finish line sometimes. My partner and I take turns in being the pessimist and optimist. My head spins sometimes when I think of what we still have to do which is a lot! When we finally get there, it will be one of the most rewarding feelings. So, we soldier on.

~~ musings by me

Today's progress:
All the front inside walls are done. Partner's old man doing the bricklaying, my partner doing the labouring for him. Father and Son building the house with their own hands (literally!).

How great they can share the experience and loving your musings

This will be a great record of your build complete with pictures, priceless.

TraceyWayne
How great they can share the experience and loving your musings

This will be a great record of your build complete with pictures, priceless.

Cheers Tracey! The house has a bit of sentimental value already I guess.

One thing that everyone I guess considers when deciding to build or buy a house is being tied to a mortgage. This sometimes makes it hard to do other things that we'd like to do in life. In our case, I love to travel. My partner has been out of the country once in his life when we did our Europe trip together last June. And he's got a bit of the travel bug. We know our priorities. We want to stay on track in paying off the house hopefully quicker but our desire to travel will not be put aside totally. We picked up little memento in each of the city that we went this year and they will go to our study. I think I am addicted to teapots! Haha. I got a set from a couple of the places that we went to. Would just like to share this goodluck bowl from Singapore which we will put on our table on the hallway entrance. We like it!

One thing that we regret not getting was an iron cast door bell from Amsterdam. It weighs a kilo! We thought we were gonna go over our luggage. We tried to find it in Ebay but no such luck.

Fantastic idea! I love the progress ... Interesting roof idea. I'm not a fan of skillion roofs but they are fashionable now and VERY expensive. Will be a fad.

Yes, thought the same as Tracey -- love the musings and father/son teamwork. How amazing to build a home together. So special.
TomCat
Fantastic idea! I love the progress ... Interesting roof idea. I'm not a fan of skillion roofs but they are fashionable now and VERY expensive. Will be a fad.

Yes, thought the same as Tracey -- love the musings and father/son teamwork. How amazing to build a home together. So special.

Yeah, I agree, will be a fad. I am looking forward to you and Tracey putting your stamp into your homes. Can't wait to see photos of the rooms soon!

Really enjoying your progress updates.
Thanks gandn! Got a few threads to keep checking (yours included) that will be doing the fun bit soon - decorating! Really looking forward to see photos.

My OH has been sending me photos during the week (because I insist!). I told him that in some photos, the brickwork in the main bedroom looks wonky but in another angle they look right. I also asked him if we should be cleaning up the excess mortar on the bricks in the inside walls cos they might affect the airflow, shouldn't they have to be as clean as the outer bricks. He just laughed and said that everything is fine. There's no wonky brickwork and the mortar in the inside walls is fine as it is.

Some pics:
A local. Our stack of bricks has been their home for a few years.

Looking from the Main Street :

The back bedroom

My OH's not subtle hint for a Christmas pressie. Haha! He can keep wishing.

Related
You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum