Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB in SA

Page 51 of 52
Some handrails being installed by OH. The rest are still being stained which takes time cos he waits 24 hours after each coat. We will also paint the posts’ feet black so it looks like a floating deck.
And also, where the downpipe is is temporary.

More decking pictures! Cos I love our outdoor area.

This is our decking off the master

OH watching The Grand Tour on the main deck.

Just caught up - it’s alk looking so gorgeous. Coincidence we used eco-deck around our pool and your right it does get hot!
So, we have started the work on our back verandah. Or the front verandah for the shed. Don’t mind the scratched paint, will repaint the whole thing once done. We put channels on the upper timber as my partner’s dad didn’t have them on his and birds sit on them.

It’s ready for roofing, we won’t use a clear one but the same colourbond roof that we used for the house. Just waiting for the mate who did help with our main house’s roof. He’s retired and off to somewhere for two months, slackass!

We will use Ecodeck to screen around and timber handrails on top like what we have done to our front verandah. Height will be the same too. Don’t want it to be too high that it will get disconnected from the back garden. The floor will get tiled. We will also put a path that leads to the house.

Don’t mind the clothesline, won’t be there in the future.

Multiple trips to Bunnings for different things

I helped
!

After pics when it’s done.....

Pic of partner’s dad’s greenhouse, birds find the smallest gap. They will change it soon too and put channels.

When you do owner builder, you really learn to appreciate a lot of things and not just how the tiling of an area looks like or how a kitchen looks like. There are jobs that don’t get seen but probably take more effort than others that you see the results on the outside. My partner has done most of the work on the one side of the house for our stormwater so it runs out the road. When you do owner builder and actually do the work yourself and also have a full-time job for a living, it really is a lot of hard work.

Just a few more little updates:

We have fans installed a while ago. They’re DC fans and they’re sooo quiet!!!
Master’s

Office

This is for the other two bedrooms (same as in the office, just in white colour)

Got our hallway pic from Harvey Norman, console table from Nick Scali

Got posters for the theatre

Our salt and paper grinder cos I
them.

Looking great!

The hallway and theatre room
Our driveway in progress. It wasn’t finished yesterday and weather was not so good today, neither it is tomorrow. So good the way it comes up to our ramp.

Driveway being continued and finished today.

Some pictures during prep

Our walk-in pantry for $300 done by my partner. We tried to buy those welded posts from the kitchen place where the builders usually get them from but they wouldn’t sell them to us or to the public so we improvised. Still have to organise the pantry contents and label but so happy about not having the cupboard that attacks every time you open it.

Before

During

After

Driveway done! We will acid wash and seal it later.

We will re-seal the garage now that we will not be tracking dirt in it.

My partner drew our landscaping plan for me. This was just to give me an idea how it will look like. Driveway was done first which ended up wider than what’s on the plan (actual is up to start of ramp)

Our lot is like the shape of a
. Next thing to do is pavers and gravel for the parking bay. We will have fake grass at the front, real lawn at the back.

Driveway
(acid washed and sealed with two coats)

We also re-sealed our garage floor with one coat cos having no driveway, we trashed it. Looks good again.

Roof on back verandah is done.

We are currently doing our pavers which we will only have as edging to frame our front yard.

More progress photos.
From right to left:
Driveway
Parking Bay Area (gravel)
Area for a row of plants with gravel as well
Area for fake grass
Area around/outside of the pavers will be plants with gravel as well

We have remaining pavers so we will use them to build an area the size of a pallet or bigger in front of the hose.

Front yard is essentially done. Just need to add more plants but will do it later.

Started doing concrete path around the house.
The green stuff is the termite barrier

You fold the termite barrier so if the termite tries to move up it still has to go through the stuff.

There’s also an extra pad

Path is almost 1300 wide except for around the garage side which is about 900. Where our clothesline will be where the hot water also sits is wider at 1500. I hate steps so the path has got a ramp going down to the garage side.

1500 wide path

This path from house to back verandah/bar/shed will be poured on Monday along with the parking pad. We will have some round stones on it as a bit of a difference. As I have said, I hate steps so this is also a ramp.

We chose Coorong for the stones

All our concreting jobs are finally finished!!!

Path from house to back verandah

Parking pad

Clothesline in Dune (same as our walls) is up

Related
You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum