Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Attaching hardwood decking to steel joists

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone have experience with screwing hardwood decking onto steel joists. I'll be using self drilling wing tek screws (which I believe are the correct product). But my question is: Should I install/apply any product between the timber and steel, or possibly even paint the top face of the steel first ?

All advise will be welcome !

Heather
I did mine about 5 years ago and didn't put anything between the timber and steel, my builder mate at the time said there was no need, it has stood up very well over the past 5 years with absolutely no issues at all.
I have to add though, I didn't particularly like using the hex screws, though you will go through many hex drill bits, make sure you buy good quality and have many, you will go through them.

Wing teks are the go.

It holds up well without sealing the steel.

Just a tip when buying wing teks, it is easy to buy them too short.
Don't forget the sizing starts from the top of the cutting tip. You need to make sure there is enough thread to grab. It's a common trick that beginners to buy too under estimate the length.

Generally I use around a 40-45mm depending on brand
I've read elsewhere that screws can crack off (under head I assume) due to constant expansion/contraction of the timber. This is for when attaching to steel (not timber to timber).

I've also read two ways to help manage this ...
apply some Bostick decking glue between the timber and joist - helps holds down boards if they come loose; alternatively
a dob of silicone under the timber where it screws into the steel - assume this helps buffer the movement.

I'm using spotted gum, which is a very stable timber (in regard to expansion/contraction), but still would like to do the best job I possible can.

Can anyone comment on the two methods above please ?

Heather
Hi Heather,
I have just about finished laying 180sqm of WA Jarrah and I first used wing tips but then just used normal screws without the wing tips as the price difference is about ten dollars a box, I did not use the square drive screws but used light duty deck screws from Masters and have not had any problems the shrinking and expanding of the timber but I did pre drill and counter every hole prior to driving the screw in, I did try using a square drive screw and just drive them down but did not like the result so removed them, I have some of the deck exposed to the elements on the outer edge which has been there for quite a few years and have only coated it once with deck oil and not one of the screws have broken off, before I started I spoke to a chippy mate and he recommended not putting anything under the boards.
Cheers
Heath
\
}
Related
2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

13/03/2024
Attaching a flyscreen in a rental

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Follow up question - any ideas on how to set up a portable air conditioner through this kind of window?

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum