Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB Project - "New vs Old" - Nedlands, WA

Page 25 of 30
kasra nedlands
2 of 5 remaining doors are finally installed. Slowly getting there
. Though still missing door hardware.

One word " WOW"

You just have to love those doors... Brings the outside in

Oh. My. God. I have no words. Other than 'realestate.com.au' so I can build another block and have you employed as my designer! Those doors and windows are mind blowing!

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581
hrvat_ica
You just have to love those doors... Brings the outside in

Thank you. I haven't visited homeone for a while. I suspect there will be lots to see on your thread!

MrsJM
Oh. My. God. I have no words. Other than 'realestate.com.au' so I can build another block and have you employed as my designer! Those doors and windows are mind blowing!

Well they have taken 3 months longer than expected so they better be nice.
Can't wait for the remaining 3 doors! And for once I don't have to paint them as I've paid to have the last lot painted. I'm completely over painting.
Next three doors arrive in two weeks so I'm Super excited to see what the room will look like after.

Any updates, please?
Hey everyone. I've become lazy on the forum front and we've finally been traveling a bit again so not a huge amount of updates but here are some progress pics.
I've started on the landscaping also so I'll put up some pics of that too. I'm actually more excited about the landscaping that the inside.

The last doors are finally in but still missing some final touches. The area is full of light and I'm really happy with the outcome.

Our dressing room little nook area with a 12mm top.

Our court yard steel bifolds now have 12mm stone tops too.

That nook in the WIR is amazing! Is that switch glass? Such an awesome way to get light while maintaining privacy! Stunning

MrsJM
That nook in the WIR is amazing! Is that switch glass? Such an awesome way to get light while maintaining privacy! Stunning

Hey there mrsjm. Yes it's switchglass. The window was a bit of a design flaw on my part as it didn't give us much privacy from the neighbours but solved it with switchglass. Costly mistake
Was it easy to install retrospectively? I'd love to get it in our ensuite above our void. But given it took three men to get a single pane of toughened glass in there WITH a temporary floor up, don't like our chances!

MrsJM
Was it easy to install retrospectively? I'd love to get it in our ensuite above our void. But given it took three men to get a single pane of toughened glass in there WITH a temporary floor up, don't like our chances!

As easy as other glass only that it needs power to it. It's about about $1000 m2 installed. Yes. Ouch.

I haven't seen your place for a long while. Going to have a look now.....

Now that I'm putting up some more pics I may as well put up my very basic back yard drawings that I've come up with. The total area of our rear yard is approximately 300m2 and it's mainly going to be functional and for the kids. The materials used will be steel, concrete, reclaimed bricks and recycled timber. I will be trying to do most of the work myself with the aid of a labourer.

The following is a list of requirements for the area.
1. Entertainment area with wood fired oven at the rear.
2. Large grass area for kids
3. Large area for fruit trees and herbs and veg garden. - I'm excited about this one.
4. Sunken sitting area with inbuilt seating and possibly a fire pit.

Let's talk reticulation:
Most of you may want to skip the post

Like many of you I have lived in homes with really poorly designed reticulation. Sprinklers that just don't give the volume of water your plants need.
It really pisses me off

This especially becomes a problem when you have concrete laid down and can no longer improve the system.

So to hopefully prevent all of this I'll be designing and installing it myself.
I can hear the wife laughing in the back yard. - it's actually very straight forward.

To start with I'll be using a 12 station controller. The more stations the better really. Once again I can't really upgrade later.
My main line which is the line coming off the mains water will be 40mm pvc class 18 pipe. Nice and strong.
My lateral lines will then all be 25mm class 12 pvc.
I will have two valve manifolds set up. One for the front and one for the rear.
Most residential homes I have seen have only 20 or 25mm main lines and 20mm lateral lines. This leads to reduced water pressures and reduced flow. - off-course if you go to bunnings or even your local reticulation store they will tell you otherwise. ???

I will also have a master valve which really serves to reduce the pressure wear on my main pvc line.

Updates:
I have booked in our concrete aggregate pour in 2 weeks time as a way of forcing myself to get on with it.
We have also now put up the carport. It's made up of universal columns ready to be painted. It all went to plan and only took several hours to put up. I've ordered the 300x60 LVLs for the rafters and can't wait to put them up.

Also I finally installed our letter box.

At the rear I'm getting ready to form up the garden bed seating. The garden beds are made up of blocks with Chem anchored reo bars set in concrete. I'm excited about the final product.

There will hopefully be less sand with my next update.

Good to hear an update
love the letterbox. Are you going to have a security gate? Looks like you have an intercom in there...

With the help of a friend, I put up the carport beams yesterday. The beams are 300x60 treated LVLs which I stained white. My work with the carport is finished. Just waiting for the roofing guys to install the longline 305 sheets and the stainless steel gutters and down pipes.

Countdown to the concrete pour.....,

Some progress of our landscaping....

No more sand on the south side of the house!! We chose Boral shark bay as the exposed aggregate. It will become much darker when sealer is put on.

I formed up these treads when the concreters were here. They have exposed tops and polished sides. I had a lot of fun polishing them and found the process easy so I'm also going to make our outdoor kitchen countertop.

My concreters working really hard and doing a great job!! Really impressed with their work. Apologies for the crack.

Stair treads look pretty neat!
Great choices, love how you did the treads... came up really nice

Thankyou!
More progress today.

South side of house.

North side of house now exposed Access to backyard.

Backyard stairs. Unfortunately the stairs weren't exposed as expected so the concreters have agreed to hone/polish them instead.

Driveway gate track placed. Concrete has been booked for Friday

Related
13/08/2023
Backyard Construction Project

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

That laser level looks lovely! We bought one for less than a quarter of that price off eBay. It worked really well for us and it's still going now, five years later. After…

6/11/2023
Project Manager Recommendation

Owner Builder Forum

If you need to pay for a project manager you would be well advised to just engage a builder who would take full responsibility for the build. As opposed to you OB where…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum