Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB Project - "New vs Old" - Nedlands, WA

Page 1 of 30
Hi everyone,

In April this year we purchased a 1930's Californian Bungalow in Nedlands with the immediate plans to renovate and extend. I have decided to take on the project my self as an OB but also get the expert help of a semi-retired architect/builder to supervise the build with me.

After following Docker Rob in his Mt Lawley build, I have also decided to start a thread/blog on the complete build.

Currently the building is a 3x1 sitting on approx 920m2. The original section of the building is in average condition, while the additions are in poor condition and require demolition. Our intentions are to restore the front and then add a modern rear addition.

Two days ago we finally received planning approval and I have attached the floor plans and elevations. - Very happy to have finished the first of many many hurdles. Lets hope I don't face plant too many of them.

I look forward to sharing our project with you all very soon.

Kasra

Elevations

Ground Level

Second Level
Looks exciting! Is there shading to all those west windows?
There will be an external louvre system.
After 6 months of major head scratching we finally have our building certificate!!
Here is a before picture from the street

and the back yard......

And here is what we imagine our house to hopefully look like from the rear. We will keeping the front of the house as is other than restoration.

And so the adventure begins.......................
This is my first official post as an OB and I thought it best that I introduce our family project.

We moved into this 1930's home last year with the idea of renovating and extending it to become our forever home. Apart from the asbestos addition, the house is virtually untouched. The house was full of mould, leaks, rotten timber and many large settlement cracks.
Our task is to restore the front facade and three rooms of the house while building a modern home at the rear.

After initially discussing our thoughts with several builders, who all tried to convince us to demolish, we decided to try the OB path. I will be acting as the builder while working 4 days a week. Luckily my job allows me to work late afternoons and nights so I'm free most mornings. Whilst I'm handy with most tools I don't have and trade qualifications so I'm sure the learning curve will be very steep. Lets hope not too steep.

To make sure the project runs somewhat smoothly we have enlisted the help of a retired architect to help me project manage.
First task: Tree removal.
Unfortunately we needed to remove several very large trees which were located on our future slab position.
Shop around as quotes varied by as much as 100%!!

Our initial plan was to keep the original single garage as this would keep the front of the home looking original and also allow for the addition of a double carport - as per council requirements.
However it became evident that the garage required either required bracing or demolition to allow mini excavators through it.
See our attempt to brace the rear wall with pine.

My first OB lesson: Listen to your gut!!
Prior to bracing the garage I felt that demolition would be a better solution. That said I decided to attempt to brace it. - Lets just say that I changed my mind as soon as the job was complete and ordered it to be demolished. Ouch!!
Wow! Looks like it is going to be a big job! I like the fact you've chosen not to demolish the whole place but to add to it as it's gorgeous already. Happily follow along for the ride.
Following
gandn
Wow! Looks like it is going to be a big job! I like the fact you've chosen not to demolish the whole place but to add to it as it's gorgeous already. Happily follow along for the ride.

Good to finally have some positive feedback.... Most have just said "Knock it over"..
Its an iceberg!!

I chose to have the earthworks guys remove the roots rather than have a stump grind as all that would do is spread mulch under the slab.
First of three large roots to remove. I stayed on site all day for this task making sure ALL the roots were removed.

Posting to follow I loved Docker Rob's thread and your plans look great
The trees are all gone
and the site looks a little sad - unfortunately most of the trees were in a really bad condition (rotten) or were within our future slab location. We will lose lots of birds but hopefully some will return once landscaping is done.

This will make sure we won't stay cold this winter!! I think I seriously underestimated how much firewood would be left on site. I'll need to find a new location for firewood soon.

Apart from the firewood I was also able to keep a large amount of Silky oak which I intend to turn at some stage. - might have to wait until the house is finished.

Next stop.... Partial demolition and soil stabilisation.

Our Concreter has been booked in to the 7th of September
Finally after many months of red tape and many other complications we are having good progress. I truly felt that our project wouldn't even get started so I'm currently on a massive high.
Still negotiating with bricklayers. I can't believe current prices are $1.40 plus gst!!!! That is at least 30% more than I'd budgeted for
Brick charges. Yes that was one of our first OMG moments. Especially with 22,000 bricks
Does that price you have include anything or do you have to supply the rest also? Sand, cement, brick ties, lintels etc?
gandn
Does that price you have include anything or do you have to supply the rest also? Sand, cement, brick ties, lintels etc?

Nope... it doesn't include anything. In fact the second storey is charged at $1.50 per brick. I've read here some of the OBs have managed to find much lower rates. Ive had no such luck. I also don't want to sacrifice accuracy as my doors and windows will be retrofit so walls and openings need to be accurate.

Atleast the second floor is now timber.
As my earthmover guy tells me Brickies build your house ...,.especially over here in the west where everything is double brick (kind of like a carpenter over east I would imagine). I'm an accountant and the prices Brickies started getting two years ago really increased. Builder were throwing in new cements mixers as incentives to try and get Brickies on board
Demolition complete!! Not much left of the house.

Next step was to stabilise the soil under the original footings.

The original house is set on limestone footings which are in reasonable condition, however as we intend to drop the floor level by about 1.4m into the addition the new slab will be well below the existing footings. Step one is to stabilise the soil with chemical grout injection to a depth of about 1m. We will later reinforce this with a cavity fill wall also.
The grout takes 3 days to start to harden and can be shaved into your desired shape in about 5-7 days. It reaches max strength in about 1 month.

The above picture shows injection points set approx 200mm apart.
Looking good kasra - It's been a while since I have been in the OB forum, but glad I popped back today. I'll be following your thread for sure.

Good decision you took those Tree roots out from under the slab otherwise over time it would have just rotted away and that's not good for under a concrete slab. Also think you have made a smart move removing the old Garage. From the photos it didn't look original anyway so not too much damage done

Keep the pics and updates coming.
docker_rob
From the photos it didn't look original anyway so not too much damage done

Good pick up!!
Yes, I'm glad we knocked it over. Also access would have been a nightmare.
Soak wells installed.
Based on our roof area we require 2 x 1500x1500 soak wells. To be extra safe we have decided to place an extra 1500x1500 in the front also. This will give us an additional 50% safety margin over BCA. Most likely overkill.

Now comes the interesting part...
We are planning on having a 3 quote policy for all trades and this example demonstrates why its very important to take the time to get multiple quotes.
Here were the results:
1. Plumber who I had used previously for mainly maintenance - $6900!!! for 3x 1500x1500 installed
2. Earthwork/landscape guys currently working onsite - $5000 for 3x 1500x1500 installed
3. Drainage guy who was referred to me by a friend. - $1500 for 2x 1500x1500 installed

Job done!!

Related
13/08/2023
Backyard Construction Project

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

That laser level looks lovely! We bought one for less than a quarter of that price off eBay. It worked really well for us and it's still going now, five years later. After…

6/11/2023
Project Manager Recommendation

Owner Builder Forum

If you need to pay for a project manager you would be well advised to just engage a builder who would take full responsibility for the build. As opposed to you OB where…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum