Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Marking out footings for a pole home on a sloping block

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We finally have all approvals in place to begin building our pole home.
The first job is to mark oit the grid for drilling holes for the 30 concrete.footings. pronlem is the block is sloping in both directions (down hill and sideways). It is also an uneven lumpy bumpy slope with makes using geometry difficult.

Does anyone know the best way to mark out the grid so that i can get my footings accurate?

Thanks

Paul
Mate I seriously think a surveyor is the way to go assuming that cost is problematic.
It can be done the old fashion way, but with all respect, if your asking the question then I don't think you should attempt it.
Thanks mgilla,

I will look into getting a surveyor.

I think i have the theory down using pythagorus etc and using string lines. But i would need 3 metre high poles to have a horizontal string due to the slope. I have a laser dumpy level and distance meter.
Is that how a surveyor would do it? Or is there a more high tech device?

Thanks

Paul
The surveyors equipment will give both true vertical & horizontal distances. This makes it very easy for him.

Having said that, once all the corners of the house foundations is accurately pegged, the intermediate ones probable could be done with a piece of string, spirit level & tape measure.
Paul1965
I think i have the theory down using pythagorus etc and using string lines. But i would need 3 metre high poles to have a horizontal string due to the slope. I have a laser dumpy level and distance meter.
Is that how a surveyor would do it? Or is there a more high tech device?
Paul

You have everything you need to do it. Why the lack of confidence? It is not rocket science. Measure away!
If will probably take you much longer to get the initial true square , but once done, should be a piece of cake.
So using a 3m tall pole is the way to go?
Paul a surveyor will peg the middle of the holes, you put your pads in then they come back and pin them so you know exactly where your post goes. Mate it doesn't get any easier, in fact I cant remember the last time I set a house out using profiles and string lines.
Giday Paul

I faced the same problem with my place
It is not that difficult, but you do need two people and you need to step down your hurdles (an extra mid way hurdle with the two heights on it). The step hurdle needs two timbers (top and bottom), you simply put your string line nail in the same spot on each timber (using a plum bob) and continue your string line through. Then simply take into acount the drop on any measurments from the lower string lines. It is easier to set your top hurdle (s) at FFL or the bottom of the floor beam height to make it easier to calculate post hieghts etc.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/Fishdejour/10456044_10203487393679431_8703977993063062763_n_zps05953134.jpg

Surveyor will do it easily and quickly but they charge about $500 for 10 points (and you need 30 so...)
I use a water level, string lines and a plumb bob for all my set out and gross building and get it within a few mm's

Steve
Hey Paul,
Best get someone in to clear and level out you lumpy bits my block was the same as it sloped in two directions and I started with one corner and worked from there using string line and the three four five method to get correct corners and I put in 114 footings took about a week just make sure you check then double check your holes.
Cheers Heath
Hey Paul,
Best get someone in to clear and level out you lumpy bits my block was the same as it sloped in two directions and I started with one corner and worked from there using string line and the three four five method to get correct corners and I put in 114 footings took
about a week just make sure you check then double check your holes.
Cheers Heath
Related
20/03/2024
Dark line marking in hardwood floor

General Discussion

Hi All. I'm currently resurfacing the hardwood floors and when removing the old layers that there's a long dark line running across the boards. Does anyone know what or…

20/11/2023
Bearer & Joist/Pole Home Construction Cost

Building A New House

Hi Mrboh Just wondering if you have any BAL or flame zone issues on your block, as getting compliance with BAL requirements whilst doing bearers and joists is tough. Not…

11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum