Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Building a kit home?? Storybook designer kit homes

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

We have been debating on how we want to go ahead with a knockdown and rebuild. We have two houses on our block and we currently live in the back house and we will be knocking down the front house for us to move into.
We have a good idea of the layout we want inside and my husband being a car enthusiast wants specific things in the garage (being hug like 7 x 10m and he wants a hoist in there).
After looking at display houses, there was obviously not many of them wanting to work with our wants and to me they all looked the same. So we came to the conclusion that we need to do a custom build.
Having owner build an extension before, we know the work that goes into building and at first I was deadset against doing it again plus I thought we wouldn't beable to get finance to do the house we were after.
But then I stumbled across storybook designer homes- they do custom kit homes, in styles that I love... like the Hampton's look or coastal looks that use a combination of boards and colourbond.
http://www.storybook.com.au/
So main question is..., we have the money to buy a kit to lock up stage. But we would need around another $200K to finish it off.
Is it risky to build to lock up, then refinance to finish the inside? Do banks allow this?
And also, we were thinking of using a builder to manage the project to lock up, then doing the rest inside ourselves (we have al ot of contacts of trades needed, my husband plans to do some of the stuff himself and I plan to save $$ and shop for appliances etc). But is this really going to be cost effective going with a kit home? Its not that we want to save in the cost of the build... we still want to spend x amount but we just want bigger bang for our buck I guess!
I don't know, Im so confused! I want to have my own input and touches on the house but at the same time I know the blood, sweat and tears that go into doing it yourself.
Any comments welcome!!
Do a search here on "kit homes". Its been discussed so many times.
Thanks so helpful -I've already done this. Haven't found any info on the banks though- anybody in the know, know about getting a loan to finish off a house if you have fianaced the project to lock up yourself?
Hi lozza you can get a line of credit from banks as they don't like OB's, this is what I have done then, then you can change over to home loan once house is complete.
Lozza - how did you end up going with this? We are in the same position in terms of finance and I'm worried about the risk

Anyone had any recent experiences with Storybook? Particularly finding a builder to build to lock up? And whether trades came in around the estimated prices by SB?

We are just starting the process and after some more info so we know what we are getting into!
Hi Lozza we met with Storybook homes about 8 years ago. Didn't really like there attitude wasn't open to any of our ideas and seemed way to arrogant for us. We end up going owner builder and built an attic house to our liking. Good luck with your choice

Related
2/09/2023
Architect vs designer vs builder

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your build is relatively simple, I believe your job can be easily done by a good building designer, you really do not need to pay for the architect. Remember, architect's…

14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum